Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poets' Corner

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 09/02/2019   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image of a stamp featuring a portrait of Belgian poet Géo Norge (pseudonym of Georges Mogin, 1898-1990), designed by Anne Velghe (1941- ), printed by photogravure, and issued by Belgium on February 16, 1998 to commemorate the poet's birth centenary, Scott No. 1681, plus a photo of Géo Norge which may have been a model for this stamp's design, and his popular poem Une Chanson ("A Song"), with an English translation of it. Bonus: Signature.

- nethryk

Une Chanson

Une chanson bonne à mâcher
Dure à la dent et douce au cœur.
Ma sœur, il faut pas te fâcher.
Ma sœur.

Quand il fait noir, quand il fait peur.
Comme à la lèvre du vacher.
La fleur.

Qui aurait le goût du bonheur.
Mon enfance et de tes ruchers
L'odeur.

- Géo Norge

A Song

A good chewing song
Hard to the tooth and soft to the heart.
My sister, you must not get angry.
My sister.

A good chewing song
When it's dark, when it's scary.
As on the cow's lip.
The flower.

A good chewing song
Who would have the taste of happiness.
My childhood and your apiaries
The smell.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by nethryk - 09/02/2019 10:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 10/02/2019   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of the two stamps in a set featuring stylized portraits of well known Cypriot poets, designed by Cypriot graphic artist Andreas Antis Ioannides (1939- ), printed by lithography, and issued by Cyprus on March 6, 1978, Scott Nos. 493 & 494, plus images of photographs of the two poets which may have been models for these stamp designs.

- nethryk

Dimitris Theophani Lipertis (1866-1937).

Vasilis Michaelides (1849-1917).
Edited by nethryk - 10/02/2019 11:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 10/07/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image of a stamp featuring a portrait of Hungarian poet Mihály Csokonai Vitéz (1773-1805), designed by Sándor Légrády (1906-1987), printed by photogravure, and issued by Hungary on July 28, 1955, Scott No. 1137, plus an image of the cover of a collection of Mihály Csokonai Vitéz's poems entitled Lilla, and an English translation of his poem A boldogság ("Happiness," 1797).

- nethryk

Happiness

Now in the jasmine arbour
on this cool summer evening
I sit close to my Lilla
while Lilla joins me humming
and plays the game of kisses
While her brown, pretty tresses
Zephyr's whisper caresses.

I placed upon the meadow
a demijohn of good wine,
and with a tender rosebud
I closed its mouth comme il faut.
Inside my basket waited
Anacreon's good verses
with strawberries I'd just picked.

Whoever has in one place
seen so much delight gathered?
Whose bliss can ever match mine?

- Mihály Csokonai Vitéz
Translated by Paul Tabori

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image of a stamp featuring a portrait of Rudaki (c. 859-940), a Persian poet known as the "Adam of Poets," regarded as the first great literary genius of the Modern Persian language, and depicting a harp and writing materials, printed by photogravure, and issued by Iran on March 16, 1964 to publicize the opening of the Blind Institute, Scott No. 1288, plus an image of a bronze bust of Rudaki, and a sample of his poetry in translation. Note: It is believed by some scholars that Rudaki was either born blind, or was blind from early childhood.

- nethryk

Look at the cloud, how it cries like a grieving man
Thunder moans like a lover with a broken heart.
Now and then the sun peeks from behind the clouds
Like a prisoner hiding from the guard.

- Rudaki
Edited by nethryk - 10/17/2019 11:23 am
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05