Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ships On Postcards

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 10,064Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 03/09/2012   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you like boats in scenery you might like this old vessel TSS Earnslaw - affectionately know as "Lady of the Lake"

At the beginning of the twentieth century, New Zealand Railways awarded 21,000 pounds to John McGregor and Co shipbuilders of Dunedin to build a steamship for Lake Wakatipu. The Earnslaw was named after Mount Earnslaw, a 2889 metre peak at the head of Lake Wakatipu. She was to be 48 metres long, the biggest boat on the lake. Transporting the Earnslaw was no easy task. When construction was finally completed she was dismantled. All the quarter inch steel hull plates were numbered for reconstruction much like a jig-saw puzzle. Then the boat was railed by goods train across the South Island from Dunedin to Kingston at the southern end of Lake Wakatipu. Six months later, after being rebuilt, on 24 February 1912, the TSS Earnslaw was launched and fired up for her maiden voyage to Queenstown, with the Minister of Marine as captain. She then became a valuable vessel for the New Zealand Railways and was known as the "Lady of the Lake".

One of my many NZ chromes

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 03/09/2012   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something a little different

Santa Maria - 1470 - Russian Postcard

This is a postcard I swapped with a fellow Postcard Collector who presently lives in Russia.

I made a Maxi-card of it by adding a matching stamp.

The 'Santa Maria' was a small, 30 metre, three-masted cargo ship, or caravel. It had a 52 man crew and although slow, sailed well in heavy seas.

Stamp from the New Zealand 1992 series 'Navigators' - $1 Sighting of the Americas - Columbus 1482

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 03/09/2012   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bas

That's a nice card of thet ship.

Even though I have between 4 and 500 ship postcards, I do not have that one. There must be umpteen 1000s of them out there :(

Here are a few more images of my ship cards.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Back of the card

The Lady Drake. This ship was transformed into a hospital ship during the major part of WW 2. BTW - I have duplicates of this card and would be willing to trade for another ship card if possible (?)

I always liked this 'vignette' style card. I was sure pleased when I came across it in a dealer's box.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 03/09/2012   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bas, the other cards you have posted are really nice too.

I also have a few cards that show a small version of the ship and shows the landscape more. Those are nice as well.

I know that NZ has some great scenery. In fact, my one nextdoor neighbour and his wife went to NZ and Australi about three years ago and they loved it down there.

Here are a few more cards.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Interior of the S.S, Empress of Canada

This is a modern card showing the S.S. Titanic

This is an old original card that I was lucky enough to get for a few dollars.

S.S. Umbria of the Cunard Line
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 03/16/2012   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Bujutsu and all
Here is another old ship postcard I found in my collection. This one does not have any stamps, but I think it may be Russian?
Regards
Horamakhet
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 03/16/2012   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could be right Horamkhet

I have not seen a back of a postcard similar to that but it does appear to be Russian.

I also noticed that it is an 'artist signed' card. Can you make out the signature? The boat appears to be a paddlewheel and the artist may have done the sketch from one he / she was familiar with (?)

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 03/16/2012   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Philby

Please excuse my delay getting back to you on that ship card.

After going through several boxes etc., I came across only these two items that I have scanned.

Since it is not relating to the topic of ships, I will remove this posting once I have heard from you. I only posted it in here to let you know what I have for trade for the ship card you posted.

Oddly enough, these are the only items I have in the area you wanted for Argentina and Guatemala.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 03/18/2012   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bujutsu
Unfortunately The name of the artist is impossible to read.

reminds me a bit of Turner painting though
Regards
Horamakhet
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 03/22/2012   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of ship interiors - date unknown but probably 1940's as she was broken up for scrap in 1954

P & O Mooltan - "Smoke Room' and 'Nursery'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Mooltan

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 03/23/2012   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Slightly damaged card but an interesting old vessel

STR Manitou - early 1900's. Posted at Harbor Springs to UK using a Red Washington 2c stamp

In the late 19th century, many early tourists arrived at Northern Michigan resort areas via a Lake Michigan steamship. Chicago to Harbor Springs, Michigan, was a popular trip for many passengers. An elegant ship named the Manitou would make the trip in 24 hours. In 1898, the fare was $5.00, with meals and berth extra. Early steamships stopped at Harbor Springs due to its naturally protected and very deep harbor; later, they added a stop in Petoskey.

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 03/23/2012 05:39 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 10,064Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05