Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Military covers RV 81

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
262 Posts
Posted 02/28/2012   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Major1044 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I think that the following military covers may be of interest to some members.

30 year ago, the Army held a major exercise at Gagetown, NB, from 01 Jun to 6 Jul 1981. For this occasion, 5 military post offices (MPO) were opened (MPO 81, 103, 111, 112 and 115).

Philatelic covers bearing the logo of RV81 and cancelled the first day of the exercise were issued. I have 3 complete sets, each with a different stamp.

In one of the cover, I also found a note providing detailed information on this military exercise and MPOs. It is shown below.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
Posted 02/28/2012   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Major1044 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again,

Here is another pic. The printer probably ran out of blue ink.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4551 Posts
Posted 02/28/2012   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Major

Thanks for sharing this

One of my specialties is collecting Canadian military mail and I have several volumes of covers with different FPOs, NPOs CAPOs etc etc.

Those are interesting covers you have scanned.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
Posted 02/28/2012   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Major1044 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments and nice pics Bujutsu.

I don't specialize in military covers, but I would love to see some war time cover cancellations bearing the same MPO numbers.

On the other hand, I suspect that my covers are scarce considering the short period of usage. Your advise on this would be appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4551 Posts
Posted 02/28/2012   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again

Here are a few pages from my collection. I usually do up my own pages but these are from a collection I bought at an auction osme years ago. I like the way they are done. I don't like the white photo mounts but prefer the newer clear ones instead.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Canada
1 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papawhisky to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello just came across this post, I also have a set of these the ones in the middle of the 3 you posted. How did you happen to acquire yours, I picked my set up at one of the M.P.O.'s in the field during RV 81, my 3rd year in the military . . .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
506 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Similar covers are known from MPOs at Wainwright, AB and Suffield, AB for RVs held in 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, and 1992.
Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Major1044 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to this forum Papawhisky,

I bought my three sets through a deployed postal clerk.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5861 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Papawhisky

Welcome to the forum buddy..Enjoy

Robert
Edited by wert - 12/06/2018 7:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4551 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of my covers I have were either bought at shows or from online / catalogue auctions. I am still finding the odd cover here and there.

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05