Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uss Oriskany Post Card 1973

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gussyboy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I came across a postcard from Mombasa Kenya Africa that my brother who was in the Marines sent home to my mom. He was on the USS Oriskany. This was dated Dec 28th,1973. Nothing like spending Christmas on a ship!

BTW, sorry I haven't been on the forum much--tore a ligament in my left foot on the underside and have been in great discomfort and on crutches! To go down to the dungeon to scan and post -- I have to make it down 12 steps and then back up 12 steps (on crutches).Whew,
that's a lot of crutch work! Anyway, I'm on the mend and that's what is important.

Thanks!
Gussyboy1
Send note to Staff
Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. Not nobody. Not No How!"
Edited by gussyboy1 - 09/07/2008 11:16 pm

Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 09/07/2008   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gussy it's good to see ya. Hey take your time and get that foot mended well. We will all still be here along with some newbies hopefully when you get back to be able to make it up and down those dungeon stairs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3722 Posts
Posted 09/08/2008   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know what it's like to travel on cruthes.

Take it easy gussy.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
USA
867 Posts
Posted 09/08/2008   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfgoda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you mend fast.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 09/08/2008   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Tomorrow I'm spending a day with my stamps sorting and putting into albums as many as I can!Will have to figure out how to do that without walking much!ha

Gussyboy1
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 09/09/2008   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlorenz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gussy
Sorry to hear about your foot I hope you mend quickly! Take it easy and spend time relaxing with your stamps
rick l
APS# 214326, I.S.G.C.# 979
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2460 Posts
Posted 10/04/2008   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USS Oriskany was named for the Battle Of Oriskany of the Revolutionary War which took place between Utica and Rome NY and where General Herkimer was killed bringing reinforcements to Fort Stanwix (now Rome). John McCain flew off the USS Oriskany when he was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967. In 2006 the Oriskany was sunk in the Gulf of Mexico to create an artificial reef.
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 10/04/2008   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a shame to end up at the bottom as an artificial reef! There's such history gone! I wonder if they could have made a permanently anchored hospital ship or something out it? Or how many homeless it could have housed in a stricken country hit by a tsunami?!
You know me, the nurse in me comes out.

Gussyboy1
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 10/04/2008   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In 2006 the Oriskany was sunk in the Gulf of Mexico to create an artificial reef.

What a hull of a waste...pun intended
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2460 Posts
Posted 10/04/2008   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a hull of a waste

I agree, but I'll say hell. They want us to recycle tin cans, but they just dump who knows how many tons of reusable scrap metal into the ocean!
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05