Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Namw1938 - My New Project

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 3,066Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ncbuckeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This morning, I decided to start on a new project - create a specialized 1938 National Air Mail Week (NAMW) album. Since my favorite air mail stamp (if not favorite US stamp) is C23 Eagle & Shield which was issued for this occasion.
First, I created the cover for the album:

Next, I created a two page introduction for the album:

Each state or territory will have its own section headed by a section header page as this example shows:

Each cover commemorating NAMW will be mounted with corners on its own page. Here are 3 examples:

Each sheet will be placed in an archival grade pocket and placed in 3-ring binder.

I'll be placing C23 issue information and the rear of the album will have various articles relating to NAMW as well as an index.
I have to admit that at this time I do not have many NAMW covers, so will be on the lookout for them.
If you have any, please see my post in Trades Wanted
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marko1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great. I recently started to combine 3 differant sets of stamp albums, I decided to make my own pages. I included Scotts stamp numbers, b/h stamp copies and any addition all informatio, such as perferation, colors etc.
Yours look great.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
867 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfgoda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should be proud of your hard work
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice covers and album pages that will make for a very interesting collection. However, I would be a bit intimidated by the concept, as there were tens of thousands of these covers that were produced and the collection would become too vast for me. Of course, the mere quantity of covers out there would suggest that most are relatively inexpensive, so the collection is within the reach of most collectors, even those on a strict budget.

Here's one that I obtained last year for less than a dollar. Unforutnately, it wouldn't fit well into your collection, since the reverse has two rubber stamped cachets and actually looks as nice (or nicer) than the front. The very "problem" with collecting these sort of covers is that they often contain backstamps and, if mounted into an album, the reverse side of the cover is lost in the album display:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As WT1 says, many times the reverse of a cover is just as interesting as the front. In those cases I usually make a copy of the reverse and mount it with the front. I am looking at some options for those situations.
I guess the fact that there are many covers is what is appealing to me. Collecting them is will be like collecting world-wide with a limited income - you know you will never approach having a "complete" collection. But, the fun to me will be in the hunt and creating the album. By the way, WT1, that is a nice cover - and American Airlines was probably the most prominent airline carrier in 1938.
Rest in Peace
Australia
631 Posts
Posted 04/05/2012   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice work ncbuckeye - have the same problem with some of my covers where the back is just as good as the front - am using "clear" banknote storage pages in some of my albums which allows you to see look at front and back simply by turning the page - for my write ups am looking at coming up with a clear mount with a hinge system to move it backwards and forwards
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 02/20/2019   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it's been a while since this topic has been active, so perhaps this question will inject some life into it. I saw a reference to the following, but don't know where to find a copy. Does anyone on the list know of it?

"Journal: National Air Mail Week, May 15-21, 1938" (CD-ROM). Drabyk, Jon E. and National Air Mail Week Historical Society, 2007
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 02/20/2019   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 03/29/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this image at the Library of Congress website. It really gives an idea of how many NAMW covers there were.

Caption:
Postmaster General James A. Farley inspecting a few of the 150,000 first flight covers mailed him during national Airmail week, May 15, 21. Airmail flights form many of the postoffices in the country were a feature of the airmail week celebration, 6/15/38
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 03/30/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Xeroxing one side and placing it below the other side is about the best way to go. I have an extensive Christmas Seal cover collection and that has been the best way I've found to present both sides.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 03/30/2019   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I knew there were a lot of these covers, but 150,000! I have often wondered how, and how many of these covers made it out into the collecting community?

I collect aircraft on covers and picked up this post card addressed to Farley ten years ago. One also sees NAMW covers addressed to FDR, U.S. Rep. James Mead and some of the state NAMW chairmen as well.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great photo of Farley sitting on 150,000 NAMW covers that were sent to him during that week in 1938. My assumption is that there are many duplicates in that pile. People who collect NAMW covers tend to think in terms of approximately 10,000 different ones, give or take. There were a couple of in interesting recent articles on these in the January and March issues of the Airpost Journal of the American Air Mail Society. These two articles were looking at how postmasters were trading examples of their NAMW cachets with each other. The second one looked at some examples of postmasters sending their cachets stamped on flimsy glassine type paper as a sub-type. Something to keep in mind, NAMW was not limited to only those communities who had airports on the national air mail routes, or even just having air ports. The idea of the event was to get every community in the country that had a post office to make a special cachet to apply to covers to celebrate the event and raise awareness of the benefits of using airmail when posting one's regular mail. And the great thing about these is they are very inexpensive and can be found for sale in large quantities for wholesale prices. Since there are so many it can be a good idea to focus one's collecting, perhaps to NAMW covers from one's home state, or ones that actually were flown and have a pilot's autograph, or ones that are autographed by the local postmaster, or . . . . The options are endless and all would be great fun.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting info, Kimo. I've been mainly collecting First Flight Covers from my home state of Indiana, and recently decided to add some NAMW covers. I've seen, in several places, that many of them are inexpensive and not that rare. But I've only seen Indiana NAMW covers pop up occasionally on eBay. They are interesting, in that the cachets often celebrate some local claim to fame. So, I'm still looking.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
562 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice ncbuckeye!
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've also seen places that mention that there were in the neighborhood of 10,000 different NAMW covers nationwide, so I'm wondering why Farley would have received 150,000 of them. That would translate (on average) to 15 duplicates of each one.
Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 04/01/2019   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Healthy. I think the reason you don't see many being offered on eBay is first, there is very little demand for them; and second, they tend to be worth less than a dollar making selling them a proposition that would lose a seller money on an auction after the eBay fees and such are deducted. Not many dealers bother with them as a dealer has to make money on every cover they sell and they cannot afford the time to organize things with such a modest value without having to price them at $5 or more just to recover the cost they invest in their time and effort to stock them and organize them and sell them. They tend to be more of a dollar box sort of thing and even at that the price is kind of high. It is a hard situation for someone who is looking for specific ones. As for how many there are, I think the 10,000 range sounds fairly reasonable to me while 150,000 sounds way off. In 1940 there were 44,000 post offices in the US and that included all of the small rural ones that were not much more than a few cubby holes in the back of a general store. Not all post offices participated in NAMW so the outside number of possible covers if every single post office no matter how small or remote would be 44,000. Something closer to 10,000 sounds more likely to me as the time and cost of creating a special cachet and processing NAMW collectors' mail would have taken resources that only larger post offices, or smaller ones with really dedicated post masters would have done. As for Farley getting 150,000 of them that also makes sense to me given that at that point in time every postmaster position was handed out as a political favor to whomever in that community had the political leanings in the party that held the Presidency. It was pure pork and a payoff to a local activist supporter of that political party. One way to keep the job that came with good pay was to keep up a steady stream of fawning to the bigwigs in Washington including mailing them things like NAMW covers to show that they were complying with the directions from Washington to support NAMW. And anyone who wanted to grab the postmaster job from the current incumbent would be doing the same thing by mailing in covers such as the NAMW ones to not only Farley but Roosevelt and anyone else who they thought might be able to appoint them to be the new postmaster. It was a cheep way to lobby for themselves.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 3,066Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05