Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Namw1938 - My New Project

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/02/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good analysis, Kimo. Just enough cynicism to make perfect sense.
If anyone has a stack go Indiana NAMW covers gathering dust, let me know.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 04/02/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since there are so many it can be a good idea to focus one's collecting, perhaps to NAMW covers from one's home state, or ones that actually were flown and have a pilot's autograph, or ones that are autographed by the local postmaster, or . . . . The options are endless and all would be great fun.

Kimo is certainly correct about the many ways to collect NAMW covers. Below are a few illustrations of categories to collect.

Don

Prominent people associated with NAMW;

Addressed to FDR

Addressed to U.S. Representative James Mead, chair of the Committee on Post Office and Post Roads

Those addressed to NAMW state chairmen. Some of these covers include correspondence.

The letter accompanying the above cover.

An official NAMW cover. A little more difficult to find, apparently not many saved.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3738 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful work and great topic ncbuckeye

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand how covers addressed to various officials entered the marketplace, but does anyone know how some of FDR's covers entered the marketplace, and didn't go to a museum?
Pillar Of The Community
2462 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of FDR's stamp collection was sold through a series of sales by Harmer's after his death. There are lots of covers addressed to FDR on the market - many of them rubber stamped on the back by Harmer. Remember, this is before the presidential libraries got developed as for recent presidents.

Here are 3 very common covers addressed to FDR, unmarked by Harmer, so likely in a bulk lot, and findable in $1 boxes today:

Edited by John Becker - 04/03/2019 11:01 am
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, John. I didn't realize that I could locate items from FDR. I'll have to keep an eye out.
Pillar Of The Community
1051 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize that I could locate items from FDR.

There is an enormous difference between covers from FDR and those mailed to FDR. FDR's collecting of stamps was widely known and there were huge numbers of covers mailed to him from collectors and well wishers and aspirants for political favors. There would have been no way for him to have personally received the thousands that were coming into the White House every week and the White House postal clerks and secretaries would have managed the masses of mail to pick out the few that were from his personal friends or political colleagues. He had a 24/7 job of being the President with little time for his hobby. Just like today, anyone can address a first day cover or an event cover or a thousand of them to the President and drop it in the mail. Such covers will never be seen by the President and after he leaves office I would expect such materials to be sold on the market as a Presidential Library only has a limited amount of space to store and display things so they focus on the personal and official papers of a President and things like high value gifts from important countries and the like. And it is not just letters that are being sent to Presidents, countless corporations send unsolicited stuff to every President so they can say the "President has one of our widgets". As was mentioned, Harmers auctioned off all of this kind of mail to FDR and it took them a number of auctions with large lots to get rid of it all. Anything of value such as essays of stamps that were given to him by his Postmaster General were given to the Smithsonian as I recall. The result is that a letter or card that is addressed to FDR or any other President or even any celebrity has pretty much no additional value other than being a curiosity. On the other hand, a letter that was actually written by FDR and sent to someone does have substantial additional value over an ordinary cover.
Edited by Kimo - 04/03/2019 10:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/04/2019   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well put, Kimo.
But, whenever I get a new cover, I google the addressee, just to see if they were "somebody." I've got some addressed to fairly well know philatelists like Samual S. Goldsticker, Perhan C. Nahl, and L.B. (Bart) Gatchel, and a variety of dealers who advertised in the Airport Journal. Also a cover addressed to Hugh Ralston, who was a Vice President of the First State Bank in Gothenberg NE, and donated more than a million dollars to renovate and add to the Gothenburg Public Library. To me, they represent an interesting connection to the past.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Healthy:

I also try to find out what I can about addressees on the covers I buy. Could you post a link re: Samuel Goldsticker. I have a couple of his covers, but have never found any biographical info about him.

Thanks.

Don
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Don,
I think this is where I first encountered a reference to Samuel:
https://www.americanairmailsociety....all-of-fame/
But I just found this Index, which may lead you to more biographical information:
https://www.americanairmailsociety....990-2008.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Healthy. The second link is the one that I need to look at. Now to figure out where I can retrieve that article online without joining the society.

Don
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you are saying. I can't afford to join everything either.

You can access Airport Journal articles free, but there is a gap between 1965 and 2012:
https://www.americanairmailsociety....036#archives

I did learn that Linn's Stamp News ran an obituary:

Sam Goldsticker Jr. 1921- 1992
[Sam Goldsticker obituary], Nov. 23, 1992. Linn's Stamp News (Article)
I believe that you can buy the article here, but you may need to be a member of something:
http://catalog.stamplibrary.org/Inm...RY&Type=opac

I found a page that said you could access back issues of Linn's for free, but the link was bad.
I tried FindAGrave, but couldn't find him there.
Good luck, and let us know if you find anything.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, Healthy. I am a subscriber to Linns and have online access to back issues. I'll go there for the article.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
1051 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that trying to join everything is hard, but on the other hand there is an element of fairness that one might consider. If one winds up using an organization's generosity of their making valuable information available on line, then at some point one should consider paying the modest cost to join, especially since these are private non-profit organizations with little in the way of generating revenues to continue for another year other than their very modest membership fees. It is kind of like PBS television. If one watches it with some frequency then it is a fair thing to do to join PBS during one of their fundraising events to help keep it going. In addition, by joining one gets access to other members who are generous in sharing information that is not available to those who are not members. And thirdly, being a member of such organizations enable one to use their membership number as a philatelic credential when interacting with dealers and others in buying and selling. Credentials such as these give confidence to others that they are dealing with a trustworthy individual.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/06/2019   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add healthy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course you are right, Kimo. Right now, I belong to 3 organizations, and there is always another deserving one to consider, yet resources are always limited. Just wondering, how many different philatelic organizations to others in this group belong to?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05