Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maine Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
Posted 04/05/2012   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add drewbythestampguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Like other stamp collectors, I also collect Postcards, well my favorites are from the wonderful state of Maine (that's where I live). Anyway this my first real post so I want to say the I belive not just learning history of the postage material but what is on it, so that's how I will set my posts up with the history of the item and whats featured on it.

The Casco Bay fleet or Casco Bay Lines is located in Portland Maine. First established as the Casco Bay steam Boat company, Later became the Casco Bay Lines. Today they are located at the Maine state pier, with five ships.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/05/2012   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Stamp Collecting Forum!

I, too, like to learn of the history of these postcards. Is your postcard used or mint? If used, it's always interesting to see the dated postmark. According to a quick internet search, other references for that linen postcard shown above (No. 42) has cancellations shown to be in the early 1950's (1953, to be exact).

I'm not sure how much earlier the postcard itself is dated until the point it was used though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4577 Posts
Posted 04/05/2012   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice card Drew and welcome to the forum

My understanding is that linen postcards were introduced in the U.S. in the early 1930s. Canada adopted them either in the late 30s or very early 40s.

They certainly can be a study all on their won.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1140 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the address side of a Maine postcard which is interesting to me only because I have always wondered when looking at a map of Maine what lies in the interior of the state and this postcard references two place names for that part of Maine.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The received cancel is a very collectible Doanne duplex cancel. Nice card.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1140 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
smauggie, Thanks for the info.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked up the references to Shirley Mills and Kingsbury, Maine.

It seems Kingsbury, Maine has a current population of 7. The Kingsbury post office was in operation from 1839-1917 and again from 1931-1953.

It is interesting that Jim Forte's Postal History website shows that Shirley Mills, Maine had a post office in operation from 1850-1986, yet the USPS website shows that Shirley Mills, Maine still has an operating post office to this day.
Edited by wt1 - 05/07/2014 2:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find Jim Forte's website invaluable, but sometimes small variations in the name will keep it from showing up on searches. Here is the current listing for that post office:

Shirley Mills Rur. Sta., Piscataquis County (?-Date)
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some additional curiosity about Shirley Mills, Maine post office.

It seems the USPS still refers to it as "Shirley Mills" even though the post office signage says "Shirley":

https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocator...=20&&&&&&&&&

Note the sign on this photograph shows "Shirley, Maine":

Someone on eBay is selling a rather beat up postcard showing this post office (circa 1918) at the right side of the card:

Compare it to a more contemporary photograph and the building hasn't changed very much:

And curiously the property (Post Office and General Store) appears to currently be for sale, although in this case it's referred to as in Shirley, Maine, even though it is the same address that the USPS currently lists as Shirley Mills, Maine:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1791...-Shirley-ME/

It is described as follows:

Quote:
Situated on the village of Shirley on quaint Shirley Pond, this well known landmark is the Town's post office and it's only store. The first floor currently houses the general store and post office. On the second floor is space that could be used for cold storage. The post office contract provides a yearly income as well as bringing potential customers into the store. The building offers the charm of yesteryear with its tin ceilings and wood floors.
Edited by wt1 - 05/07/2014 2:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1140 Posts
Posted 05/07/2014   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, you are quite the historian. I only add that the Foss Pond referenced on the card seems to be a favorite with sport fishermen.
Edited by stampfan9 - 05/07/2014 4:06 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05