Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Blog Started

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 7,492Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 04/12/2012   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jhlovell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I am a little excited. I added a blog to my new website and even wrote a couple of blogs. Surely not intended yet for the advanced stampster but good general information. I have also listed a lot of new stamps on my site. So once again looking for feedback to my blog or stamps. Any kind of response will help build traffic to the site. Thanks as always. Jeff

http://www.lovellscollection.com

Send note to Staff
Edited by kirks - 04/15/2012 7:09 pm

Pillar Of The Community
USA
867 Posts
Posted 04/14/2012   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfgoda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at your website and read through your blog. You have started a great site, keep up the good work.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
Posted 04/17/2012   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickmang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice site,

I have added it to my favourites
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 04/19/2012   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone for checking it out. New stamps added almost every day. Thanks again Jeff
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add klkd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice website. I have bookmarked your site.

Karen
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 05/07/2012   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Karen and to all that have taken the time to check out the site.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 05/07/2012   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BEWARE = = = LONG POST = = = BEWARE

There is a point to being honest but there is also a point to turning a seeming detraction to the beauty and appeal of a stamp into something that people can appreciate rather than scorn.

The Statue of Liberty 15c, for example, has details calling the canceling heavy, the centering poor, and grading it.

Honest to a fault, kudos for that.

However you are not selling the stamp by drawing attention to someone's grading and idea about centering and cancel. Unless you are using these to help price an item. That makes sense.

I was thinking more of saying, instead of what you have, things differently. Not dishonest but just paying attention to the stamps strengths and features that perhaps not everyone would be aware of and that would make it valuable to some, perhaps not all, but some, the some that would buy it.

Grade: Used-f
Well used is OK but leave off on grading. You are teaching your customers to only look for what you call VF or Superb maybe. Let the customer sell the stamp to himself. If it strikes his fancy, even though it's not super centering nor grade, well, that's OK. You are not deceiving anyone, just allowing them to like what they like.

Cancellation: Heavy
Perhaps say, rather, that the cancellation is of the type Oval Parcel or whatever it is. tell me some good info here. Circular Date Stamp, Split Ring, Barred Numeral, etc.

Again, let the customer do the selling. All you have to do is make sure to tell him all the features. Makes it seem more valuable somehow and unique and special and desirable. Again, no dishonesty involved, just proper, friendly salesmanship skills involved. Subtle, hidden, if the customer didn't want a Liberty stamp he wouldn't be looking probably.

Be the expert with the good info that people enjoy coming back to.

Centering: Poor
Why even say it is poor? You just lost the sale by putting that last. If the centering was great or whatever this would work great having this benefit stated last. Now it is working against you.

Perhaps not to say anything in this case is best. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it. It's different from drawing attention to a fault or problem (thin, rip, tear, hole, crease) that if not seen nor pointed out now will just result in a return later and a disgruntled customer.

There are a couple different things going on here with this last item and they all need to be paid attention to with every stamp.

So, if you are still with me, sorry I get carried away at times, it would be a Good Thing to Thank the customer for even looking and coming by. However you want to say it, but say it. Friendly is all it is. Polite and friendly.

Don't overwhelm them by flashing it at every opportunity or anything but just be friendly. I like friendly, most folks do too. Professionally friendly.

And if you want to sell also, add something in to your sentence or phrasing that mentions a purchase.

Thanks for viewing these great stamps (or stamp). Thanks for your purchases.

Now they are thinking about buying instead of eating supper or looking for a movie or leaving your site! Say it before they purchase anything. Really, sounds stupid, but it is nice and it helps.

Put the login and password on top somewhere and make it nice and friendly. It doesn't feel right where it is. Look at eBay, see how they do it. Small, on top, easy to find, but hidden away on another page. I mean, if the big guys do it that way there must be a reason for it.

Now I should really go and read you blog.

Nice, very nice, I like it, Keep up the good work. First paragraph about stamp's colours should read Stamp's Colors with an apostrophe. and there is a phrasing problem with the last sentence somehow.

No, I hated English in school, I'm a late learner. This is all selling and not driving the customer away.

And sorry if I seemed pushy or telling you what to do. Nope. You are a friendly guy to start with, just think like you are a customer and what you would like to see and do. That works very well also.

Now the big question is When are you going to start selling Canada Picture Postage stamps?
Edited by Puzzler - 05/07/2012 2:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 05/19/2012   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Puzzler for the information. Some good tips here. Will see if I can incorporate some of them. Already talked to my nephew about moving the login and am doing some serious thinking about giving the customer "too much information". Thinking on this, you may be right. I am not cataloging the stamps for my benefit, I am trying to sell them. Lots to think about - Thanks for taking the time - Jeff
Valued Member
Spain
149 Posts
Posted 05/27/2012   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dvaldemoro to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice website. I have bookmarked your site.

Regards
David
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 7,492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05