Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Purchased France C1. Counterfeit?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,477Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
Posted 04/29/2012   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Badge56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How would someone know if the stamp is counterfeit? It would be easy on this particular stamp it being a overprint. Any help would be appreciated.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/30/2012   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a pic, and we'll see what we can notice. We can't assure you it's genuine, but somebody might be able to spot any obvious fakes.

If it's used, all bets are off without a certificate.

Hmmm, I just realized I don't have a C1 in my collection; not even a fake! Guess I focused too much on the regular issues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
Posted 04/30/2012   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Badge56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not received it. I will post a good scan when it arrives.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 05/01/2012   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I look forward to seeing it.
Is it mint or used? What percentage of cat. value did you pay?
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Badge56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I received it. Here is a scan. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's does say that excellent forgeries exit. I'm no expert, by any means, but comparing your stamps overprint to the example given in the catalogue I can see at least three areas of possible discrepancy.

1. the wing of the plane on yours extends too far over the tail. On the original they are almost even.
2. the accent over the e on yours is merely a dot, whereas the original seems to show an accent aigu (or acute - a right leaning accent).
3. the lower case I extends right down to the base line, but yours is short.

These are just some observations, but I'd lean toward counterfeit.
Sorry.

edit - now seeing them side by side, I think there are other obvious differences. The shape of the left wing itself, and the overall shape of the tail.
I realize the image in the catalogue is probably not perfect, but that's all I've got to go on.
I'm sure others will chime in.
Edited by jamesw - 05/03/2012 10:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but it's a poorly done fake overprint added onto a used stamp. The plane and the lettering are way off. The dead giveaway is the "dot" instead of the "accent" mark over the "e". Time to get your money back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I see James already chimed in.

I think your pic might be from an older Scott catalog. In the genuine overprint, the plane and the lettering are very clean and pretty sharp.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think your pic might be from an older Scott catalog.

Yes 2003 I'm afraid. But still enough to see some differences.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But still enough to see some differences.

Definitely. Which is why the seller should refund the purchase price of the fake C1.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4830 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
let me put up a real copy from my collection ,give me some time to figure out the posting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4830 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 05/03/2012   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader
Great stamps. Thanks for showing. I hope badge can get his money back.
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
Posted 05/04/2012   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Badge56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot guys.. I also purchased two more stamps that are overprinted in the same lot. Before I ask for a refund (whole lot) I would like your opinion on the other two. Will post new tread for them rather than make this one overly long.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1390 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this up as I've been asked by a club member for opinions on examples of France C1, C2, C3, and C4 that he owns. I am interested in resources, beyond the Scott catalog, that discuss details of the overprints and features that indicate fakes. Citations to journal articles would be especially welcome. Thanks in advance.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4764 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,477Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 16.35 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05