Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern US Postage Meters

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2478 Posts
Posted 05/05/2012   4:32 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tomiseksj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today's mail was about the norm, four metered envelopes, three with preprinted permit indicia, and one with the current nonprofit organization stamp.

Since receiving stamps on my mail has slowed to a trickle, I've been clipping the indicia from metered mail for about six months now.

During that time, I've only received mail prepared using postage meters made by three of the five USPS-authorized providers (DataPac, Hasler, and PitneyBowes) -- here are the ones that came today.

I'd be interested in seeing recent examples of indicia from the two other authorized meter providers: FP Mailing Systems and Neopost.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/05/2012   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one from last year (2011) that shows an example of the Neopost indicia:

There's a reason why the indicia looks similar to that of Hasler, as Hasler and Neopost merged at one point not too long ago, even though they continue to market separately branded equipment in the US Market:

http://www.haslerinc.com/newsevents/media/91.aspx
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wt1 - 05/05/2012 5:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2478 Posts
Posted 05/05/2012   5:20 pm  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wt1.

I currently have 244 postage meter indicia: 183 are Pitney Bowes (75%), 51 are Data-Pac (21%) and 10 are Hasler (4%).

Based on my data alone, Pitney Bowes would seem to be the postage meter provider of choice with Data-Pac running a distant second.

With luck, someday I'll receive mailings with Neopost and Francotyp-Postalia indicia.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/05/2012   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A brief history of FP Mailing Solutions:

Quote:
Francotyp Postalia Mailing Solutions (FP Mailing Solutions) offers a full range of mail center solutions for seamless mailing systems. FP was formed in 1993 when Francotyp and Postalia merged with Postalia changing its name to Francotyp-Postalia. The firm's US headquarters are in Addison, Illinois with the technological resources of engineering, manufacturing and corporate center in Germany. FP Mailing Solutions operates as a subsidiary of Francotyp-Postalia AG & Co. KG.

Here's a indicia from last year (2011) that shows the Postalia name on it:

Edited by wt1 - 05/05/2012 5:32 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/15/2012   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting back to the Neopost Meters, I just received in today's mail another Neopost meter in which the indicia is similar (but not exact) to the one I posted from 2011. Note the different (bolder) font in the denomination and date and meter number and ZIP on the more recent example, as well as the use of the word "Presort" v. "Prsrt" that is readily apparent in this side-by-side comparison:

Almost certainly the result of a newer postage meter.

(Also note they dropped the hyphen between "First" and "Class" in these examples, too.)
Edited by wt1 - 05/15/2012 6:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 05/15/2012   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Marklin86 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they collectable? Will they ever have a value in a stamp catalog?
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/15/2012   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are listed in Scotts specialized aren't they? I really like that red eagle postalia indicia
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/15/2012   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are they collectable? Will they ever have a value in a stamp catalog?

Meters are not listed in the Scott Catalog (computer vended postage is, though).

The best reference I've seen (and it's free) is this "work in progress" on-line catalog that has started to list all of the known meter varieties and has even gone to the next level and listed some values -- and some of them can go for quite a sum -- as some were only in use for a very limited period of time.

For example the two Neopost meter varieties shown above would be varieties of the (R6) as shown at this link:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Intern...rica,_Part_2

Are the collectible? Always. Are they valuable? Probably not so much. It's a specialty collector that would have interest in them and like most other collectibles the real value is not in the "catalog value" but what a seller is willing to take and what a buyer is willing to pay for the item.

The very fact that fewer postage stamps are being used these days in deference to metered mail, suggests that they will be collectible in the future, as fewer people collect them. However, if we don't collect them now, they will become even more scarce in the future.
Edited by wt1 - 05/15/2012 9:28 pm
Rest in Peace
Australia
631 Posts
Posted 05/16/2012   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an example of a "meter" from a bulk mailed magazine that I received today in the post

Thought it would be a nice "contrast" to the "meters" already shown on the thread

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/16/2012   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a "weird" and almost non descriptive one I received in the box today. Any info on it? Machine/maker? I like the teal color and maybe that's a clue?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/16/2012   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I_L_S: That's not a postage meter indicia, merely a postage paid corner cut from a direct mail advertisement. The direct mail marketers try to "imitate" meters and stamps and so forth by using a variety of colors (and the eagle) to make their junk mail look more important and ultimately (in their minds) an item that is more likely to be opened by a consumer.

Obviously, if it were a legitimate postage meter indicia, it would have a meter number, name of meter manufacturer, ZIP code of origin, etc. The postage paid corner cuts will not have that information.

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/16/2012   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that it looked too non-descriptive but wasn't aware of these. Thank you for the information- now I know. :)
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/08/2012   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding a catalog of meters, philatelic writer and executive Doug Kelsey compiled a large catalog in 1993, "Pictorial Meter Stamps of the United States," ISBN 0-941480-12-7 (124 pages). It is fully-illustrated, devises a numbering system, and prices by group, "A" thru "H" with "H" representing market values over $200. Like anything else philatelic, there are significant rarities if you know what to look for.

I don't know if there's an updated edition.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/14/2013   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand this Pitney Bowes meter indicia has been around for a couple of years, but it just so happened I received my first example in today's mail. Note the redesigned eagle and the ">>" between "U.S. Postage" and "Pitney Bowes".

The International Postage Meter Catalog identifies the variety as an "M13" associated with the Pitney Bowes Connect+ Postage Meter System. I believe it to be the first Pitney Bowes postage meter that registers three digits before the decimal point, potentially for postage meter imprints of greater than $100.00 in value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 02/19/2013   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received this with today's office mail:

The office where I previously worked used FP Mailing Solutions.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/19/2013   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FP (Francotyp-Postalia) are relatively uncommon in the US anymore. However, the example you posted is identified as USPMSC SF1 (R5) known from the FP "My Mail", "OptiMail 30", "UltiMail60/90", "JetMail", or "Centormail" digital machines first put into use in 2003.
Edited by wt1 - 02/19/2013 4:37 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05