Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mexico Revenue Stamp ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 7,312Next Topic  
Valued Member

Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 05/26/2012   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KlausR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

bought this as a Mexico local issue for a dime, but couldn't find it in the standard Michel. A fellow collector thinks it's a tax/fiscal stamp. In wikipedia I found revenue stamps used on documents, which would fit with what is mentioned on the stamp.

TIA

Klaus
Send note to Staff
Edited by KlausR - 05/26/2012 03:16 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
946 Posts
Posted 05/26/2012   04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Klaus

I believe that you are right that it is a revenue stamp. I do not think you will find it listed in any catalog as, in general, the 'normal' catalogs do not list revenues.

There is a book "Catalog of the Revenue Stamps of Mexico" that will probably list it. The APRL (American Philatelic Research Library) has it and if you are an APS member you can borrow the book. For one stamp that is probably overkill.

Jerry B
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 05/26/2012   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Klaus, nice colorful back of book item for Mexico..i am fairly certain someone here may have more information for you...if it were Guatemala I could help...the International Guatemala society I belong to have published and update various books on fiscals..it never fails to amaze me what someone can document !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5041 Posts
Posted 05/26/2012   11:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a book "Catalog of the Revenue Stamps of Mexico" that will probably list it. The APRL (American Philatelic Research Library) has it and if you are an APS member you can borrow the book. For one stamp that is probably overkill.

Actually, the Stevens book has not been published since the 1970s. What you want is the newly released (2011) "Mexico's Revenue Stamps" published by MEPSI. It updates the Stevens work with current pricing and is full color and hardbound.

It is available from Eric Jackson for $65 shipped.

The stamp in question is catalog number DO310, cataloging 20 cents.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
946 Posts
Posted 05/27/2012   05:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi revenuecollector

Thanks for the update. I have used the Stevens book in the past and it was very helpful. I am sure the MEPSI book is a big improvement, especially being in color.

Jerry B
Valued Member
Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 05/27/2012   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KlausR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector wrote

Quote:
The stamp in question is catalog number DO310, cataloging 20 cents.

Great info, thanks. What was this stamp used for, what type of stamp is it, does the "DO" stand for "document"?

Klaus
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30764 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seek ID please.
Administration Label.
Looks dodgy to me. Facsimile perhaps?

Aside: Damage evidenced when one hinges too close to an edge.

Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2020 6:53 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 7,312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05