Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ajman? Curious Little Stamp Find.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an interesting stamp that caught my eye whilst sorting some world wide stuff. Any idea where it's from exactly or the set it's from? Any info would be greatly appreciated. This is the last unidentified stamp in the whole of the lot I'm sorting. So far - so good!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ajman is one of the "Sand Dunes" that produced tens of thousands of stamps through the 60s and 70s. There's a specialized Michel Catalog for them (expensive!). Some of the others, frequently encountered in a kiddie collection or approval mix, are Sharjah, Ras al-Khaima, Umm al-Qawain, Fujeira, Manama, Mahra State, Khor Fakkan, and some varieties of South Arabia and Yemen (of the last two, some are legitimate issues).

Not one in 10,000 Sand Dunes ever did "real" postal duty, and expertized covers are quite expensive -- more popular in Europe than the United States.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating stuff! So real stamp but not legitimate postage for duty's sake? Looks to have been cancelled though but is it a CTO type thing with these?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To put your stamp in perspective, check out this auction link. The price +/- 11 cents (US), but $3.50 to ship it to the United States from Australia:

http://stampwants-stamps.bidstart.c...53565/a.html

Note: You'll find most all of the stamps from Ajman to be CTO's.
Edited by wt1 - 06/15/2012 3:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterc4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Dunes States became the UAE. This'll get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucial_States

Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I had found so far, I t may be all of them, I am not completely sure. I have a bunch of these also.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2751 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tomd,

Are these all in a single block?

The righthand 25 are inscribed "Ajman" and the lefthand 25 are inscribed "Manama" (a village belonging to Ajman on the Sharjah/Fujairah border).

Nigel
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterc4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
from the looks of the map...the total square footage of Manama stamps printed is probably larger than the entire country.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Wikipedia article is good, but some of the spellings are at odds with what actually appears on the stamps. You find "Dunes" both mint and CTO, by far the majority are CTO, in many cases "cancelled" at the time of printing, all on the same plate, rather than applied later.
Valued Member
India
125 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add palaniappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very nice find my friend, cto's are very attractive, but some collectors hate cto's. They prefer used or cancelled postal stamps rather than cto's.

I am not sure why cto's are produced in huge numbers, there is variety but they are not postal stamps

warm wishes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
Posted 06/16/2012   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raywrio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dunes stamps are the only CTO's that I collect. They were one of my first approvals I ever bought.

What I like about this cancelled stamp is that the runner looks like he is wearing a helmet.
Edited by raywrio - 01/20/2013 11:11 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05