Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Glasgow, Scotland Street Scene, 1908-1912

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 4,518Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

2361 Posts
Posted 06/23/2012   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add doug2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This old smoky view of Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow has an unusual feature; it shows 6 different modes of transportation without an automobile:

Pushcart, bicycle, horse-drawn carriage; horse-drawn freight wagon, electric tram, and walking!

For any member living in Glasgow, the challenge is yours. Find the exact spot where this photo was taken, 100+ years ago, take a 2012 photo, and post it here, to show a century's worth of changes.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 06/30/2012   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi to all
Nethy Bridge Hotel, Nethy Bridge Inverness. 1909
I wonder if it is still there?
Regards
Horamakhet
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 06/30/2012   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is!
http://www.strathmorehotels.com/Net...+Hotel/Home/

I haven't been to Sauchiehall Street in a while, used to be a bit of an old stomping ground when I was a student in Glasgow. Standing in the middle of the street to take a photo today would probably end in tears
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 06/30/2012   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found your postcard on this site!
http://www.glasgowhistory.com/sauch...-street.html
It explains where the pic was taken (Intersection with Hope Street, looking west) and gives of other interesting background info. It also shows lots of other views of the street.

That section is now part of a long pedestrianised part of the modern Sauchihall street. I had a look on streetview. Very different today.
Edited by stampgal - 06/30/2012 09:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/30/2012   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampgal, that is phenomenal! Thank you so much. I looked at every card. I'm going to post that link on the website where I first posted my card's image; there's at least two dozen Scots who will go nuts over all that historical detail.

While the postcard people are here together, does anyone know of a "postcard" website similar to stampcommunity where there's commentary and history, and especially buying and selling? The first 50 hits on Google have not been very helpful.
Edited by doug2222 - 06/30/2012 10:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 06/30/2012   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank Stampgal

It is great to have a connection with the past.
This postcard is one of about 40 which range in date from 1903 to 1911 and range in countries and sites from Scotland, England, the Continent, and Australasia, ( or Oceania as it used to be called)
They are all to a girl called Kitty, and I am working on a biography of the postcards. Kitty's family were apparently very wealthy to spend so much time on the Grand Tour. Kitty lived in Melbourne and was the Daughter of a Methodist Minister surnamed Grey. He was one off the earliest Moderators of the Methodist Church in Melbourne.( Hi lived in Grey Street Melbourne) My project is called "Letters to Kitty".
I am presently researching his life, and where Kitty fits into the family. It will probably take me a couple of years, and I want to use the postcards as a travel dialogue for the Grand Tour at that time. Some interesting cancellations on the stamps as well.
I found the cards in a thrift shop about 15 years ago and bought them for the stamps. I love projects like this.
Regards
Horamakhet.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 4,518Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05