Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World's Smallest Meter Cancel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 5,707Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/02/2012   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jamesw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've got the postcard from Rhodes in a pile of covers I've not yet catalogued. I think I received it in a packet from a board member but I can't remember who (forgive me). As I don't collect unused postcards, I'm surprised I've hung onto it, but I just noticed something odd.
In the upper right corner, where the postage goes, there's what appears to be a rubber stamp with what looks like postage. Am I crazy?

On the right are numbers which look like a postal rate, 00,12.
At the centre are four letters Y (Upsilon), Delta, A (Alpha), Pi over top of the letter K (Kappa)

On the left is a crest or symbol, too faint to make out.
The card is neither addressed or used, but is this the world's smallest meter cancel? Or is it just a price point for the card itself?
It's amazing what you overlook.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 07/02/2012   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe that's an adjustable hand-held rubber stamp giving the price of the postcard. Since there's no date, it's unlikely to be a cancel.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/02/2012   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with doug. It is not a cancel or a meter. It is probably a licensed stamp for postage. As such it is a very curious and collectable item.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/02/2012   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is probably a licensed stamp for postage

That's a new one on me. What exactly is a licensed stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/02/2012   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a follow up question, anyone have any idea what the initials Y (Upsilon), Delta, A (Alpha), Pi might stand for? I've tried google, and all I get are sororities/fraternities.

This little thingy has me intrigued.
Edited by jamesw - 07/02/2012 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 07/03/2012   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also wondering if this odd marking could be the postcard publisher code of some sort??

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/03/2012   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that is a Kappa Delta Alpha Pi. I don't know what it means though.

I have a hair-brained idea about how this was used. People are welcome to poke holes in it.

I think this postcard was offered for sale on a cruise ship.
If I am not mistaken they are sold pre-stamped because the people on the cruise would not think to bring appropriate postage, and cruise ship shops dont want to have to mess with the accounting for postage stamps.

SO this was sold on a greek cruise liner by to a passaenger who never did mail the postcard.

Tada!
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Edited by smauggie - 07/03/2012 12:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/03/2012   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds as plausible to me as anything else.
I'd considered Bujutsu's idea of a publisher code, but I googled the publisher Krueger/SocietÚ Elafos Rhodes, and found a number of similar cards, all dating from the 1970s. None I saw had this sort of stamp. That of course doesn't mean they weren't the ones using it.
I did have an idea the the seller might had rubber stamped it to indicate to buyers an international rate of postage, but with the initials and mystery crest, I thought it looked too official for that.

So your idea, smauggie, would make this official postage from a cruise ship? And no other postage would be necessary? It would be interesting to find one used.
Also, the first initial on the stamp is definitely a Y (Upsilon). Up close with my loupe, I can definitely see a period after each letter, and the upper left diagonal stroke of first letter is faint, giving it the appearance of a K. Here, I've played with the exposure to bring out detail.

I wonder if these are the initials of the cruise line or the ship itself. The same would go for the mystery crest on the left. Hmmm. More clues! Common Scooby, let's go sleuthin'!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/03/2012   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another look at the initials and crest using more filters to try to bring out detail.

I'm thinking I need a better scanner....or I should really go outside for a while!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/19/2012   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any more thoughts on this one?
I was looking at it again and would love to find a definitive answer (if that's possible!)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/26/2014   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to bump this one up. It's almost two years since originally posted. We have a lot of new members here now. Wonder if anyone else has an answer to this one???
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 04/27/2014   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a very small metered favour cancel?? I have never seen before one like it. On taking a second look, it looks like a 'rate' of some kind 00.12?
Odd to say the least.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7729 Posts
Posted 04/27/2014   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the small figure to the left of the Greek characters looks familiar to me, almost like some cartoon drawing from a long time ago?

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/27/2014   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I've found a partial answer for you.

If you go to the country of Greece in the on-line edition of the International Postage Meter Stamp Catalog and advance down to the bottom there is this footnote:

Although it doesn't show the exact imprint on your postcard it does explain that they are "Tax Surcharge Meter Stamps...sometimes found on Postcards"

In fact, I color enhanced the imprint from your postcard and if you look very carefully you will see a faint impression of the numbering (to the left of the center line) that appears as though it would commonly be included in such an imprint:

Obviously, the IPMSC does not elaborate on all of the different varieties of "Tax Surcharge Meter Stamps", so that is where more research would be required if you want to identify further details.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/27/2014   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. A Tax Surcharge Meter Stamp. The examples above may not be exactly like mine, but certainly similar, right down to the Greek letters and the little drawing (a crest of some kind?) I wonder now, was this a tax on top of the postage that had to be paid?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 04/28/2014   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this information wt1

Regarding jamesw's comment, if this was a tax that was to be paid on top of postage, I am wondering if it was a code for a tax to be paid by the retailer who might be buying these in wholesale for future sales?? Just a thought.

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 5,707Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05