Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Consejo Provincial Matanzas Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 6,896Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/22/2012   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SueStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I entered in the subject words online, and found this to be a Cuba stamp. I cannot find it in the Scott catalog. So I am lost, LOL..

It doesn't look like a postage stamps, but I am not sure.
Has anyone seen this stamp before and know any thing about it?
Thank you,
SueStamps

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 07/22/2012   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Yes, this stamp is from Cuba but is a fiscal stamp.
Is a provincial tax stamp issued by "Consejo Provincial de Matanzas" (Provincial Council of Matanzas) in 1903 and part of a set of 5 or 6 diff. values.
The picture is called "volanta caleche".

Best regards
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/22/2012   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jorgesurcl,
Thank you very very much.
I added this information and printed it out to put it next to my stamps in my album now!

SueStamps
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 07/22/2012   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Jorge..good information, I have books on Guatemala fiscals and back of book if anyone needs a look up !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33646 Posts
Posted 07/23/2012   05:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

How does one describe the tete beche here?
(was $27)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everyone,
Here is some more information from a kind fellow in a Yahoo stamp group I am in. Amazing stuff! And another catalog I want, LOL. Enjoy!

``````````````````````````````````````````

These stamps are listed in the catalog: "Specialized Catalog-Handbook of the Revenue Stamps of Cuba" by William McP. Jones and Pedro M. Rodriguez. According to the listing: "1903. According to the literature, Matanzas Province issued these stamps late in 1902 in order to secure funds for its operations but was obliged to discontinue them on November 30, 1903, as they failed in their purpose. Since the Provincial Council made its decision on price only, the stamps suffer from poor design, poor lithography, and worse perforating. Each stamp sold and used during the life of the issue bears a quarter part of a circular hand stamp bearing the legend 'CONSEJO PROVINCIAL DE MATANZAS'. The prices listed here are for remainders without the hand stamp which are readily obtainable on the market." They go on to list the stamps - there are 8 in the set ranging from 1 centavo to 50 centavos. The issue exists perforated and imperforate. The 1998 catalog value was $1.00 each for the remainders and about $20 each for genuinely sold copies with the hand stamp.

As a cinderella dealer for over 30 years, I can say that the $1 value for remainders is high - I have seen many of these over the years. The value of $20 for genuinely used/sold examples is probably too low - I don't recall ever seeing an example with the hand stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rodd222 wrote:

Quote:
How does one describe the tete beche here?

He rod222,
I had to look up "tete beche" online...
(In philately, tÍte-bÍche (French for "head-to-tail", lit. "head-to-head") is a joined pair of stamps in which one is upside-down in relation to the other, produced ...)

I copied the photo of your tete beche stamp and will post a new message in the Yahoo stamp group and see if I get a response.

That is a lovely pair you have!
SueStamps
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33646 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice solid information on those issues Sue,
thanks for posting. I'll retain that.
Not my stamps unfortunately, I have been watching eBay for examples
but $27 was too high for me.

If I recall correctly, the pair I posted are referred to as a
"vertical tete beche" pair, but I wasn't sure.

London bus posted a thread on "tete beche" stamps here on SCF
if you wish to search.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is more information regarding the connected stamp from that very nice guy in a Yahoo stamp group:

I looked in the catalog again, and this variety is listed. When two stamps are connected and one is upside down in relation to the other, that is called tete-beche (or tÍte-bÍche) which is a French term that means, literally, "head-spade". It is pronouced tet-besh.

Many stamps that are printed this way are done so intentionally, but sometimes they are errors. A related term is se-tenant, which refers to connected stamps that are different in design or denomination. Multiples can also be se-tenant AND tÍte-bÍche at the same time!

Anyway, the 10 centavos value is listed as a tÍte-bÍche pair (cat val $10).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you rod222,
I will search "tete beche" here at SCF!
Sue Stamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 07/25/2012   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question, wasn't sure where to start a new thread so I will just ask here, since the kind gentleman who sent me all the information regarding this stamp, is the one who suggested I join the APS.

My question is, who is a member and what do you benefit from it? The gentleman also said that you can "borrow" books from APS?

I have always thought of joining, but I am not sure I am considered a serious collector, meaning.... I don't think I know enough...

Also, I have seen in some signature lines, different stamp groups people are members of, can you give me a list of what you like, or are a member of and possibly let me know what the differences are between them?

Thank you,
SueStamps
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33646 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thread Bumped, been dormant for 9 years.

CUBA MATANZAS

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 6,896Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05