Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 More Beautiful Post Cards From Around The World.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 3,111Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are two of my favorite postcards I found in a big lot I received recently. Both were literally covered with old hinges and mostlikely was hinged in an album and it took an hour or so to rid those hinges from the cards without damaging the ink on the written side and the image on the other. Q-tips and alcohol and water and a lot of patience were required. Although damaged I find they are strikingly beautiful. I'm keeping them as the original owner did, in my album.

Does anyone know any information about the stamps or postmarks? I couldn't out too much out on the net, only the images. Thank you and enjoy!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps are relatively common, and are almost always poorly centered. The upper postmark is a handstamp CDS and the bottom postmark is a roller cancel. Both were in common use at this time. It's too bad I can't tell where they were sent from.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The forst one is Valencia but the other is anyone's guess?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/24/2012   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doh!

Of course it says the name of the town on the postcard. The second one is Valencia, which explains the roller cancel. Valencia was and is a port town and popular tourist destinations. There were a lot of postcards being sent from there. Makes sense to have a more ergonomic roller cancel rather than having to handstamp them all.

The upper card I now recognize as Cadiz (a couple hundred miles southwest of Valencia). This explains the hand-cancel as this is was a smaller port town overshadowed by the nearby port city of Malaga, as well as other popular tourist destinations in the province of Andalucia, such as Granda and Sevilla.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 08/17/2012   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great info because I have a lot of correspondence between a schoolgirl and her traveling Aunt. She must have been on a boat tour of that part of the world...Very interesting. I should get a map and all their letters and postcards that I have and mark her landings and journey..That would be a neat writeup.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 3,111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05