Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB : Penny Red ID Instruction Please.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 14,312Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So getting in on this topic as I also have acquired a large number of the reds and couple of the blues which I recently read was actually a trial for the penny black reprints? does that sound right? I am rather partial to the red ones... !I am going to scour nz for the aforementioned books. Rod Im happy to scan and share any findings with you being neighbours of course!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5108 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done. Not sure what you mean by "trial". The 1d black and 2d blue were issued at the same time in 1840. The 1d black was replaced by the 1d red the following year, but the 2d blue, in one form or another, was in use for almost forty years. The trials usually refer to later, surface-printed issues. Show us some pics!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes share!
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha yes well I still havent got a scanner and my picture taking ability is legendary see if you can make them out?! edit refuse to do anymore until that scanner is sorted!

Edited by lostandfound - 01/05/2020 10:06 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok just one blue
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just found a bunch of penny reds in a little booklet going through my inherited collection. I am really wanting to learn how to indentify them all. It would be fun to start collecting all the plates!

Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and one of the perforated ones on a letter dated 1868. bit straggly but I like the different letter style

Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

not my scan of course and its somewhere in the collection!!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1513 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The NH penny red looks like plate 121.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1513 Posts
Posted 01/09/2020   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a swag of books in the current Corbitts auction, especially lot 1344 as it pertains to this thread.

For pre-stamp fans, lot 1342 has the 5 volume set of the British County Catalogue.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 14,312Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05