Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

ABNCo and BEP Engravers  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 08/10/2012   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jorgesurcl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I need information about dates of birth and death of some early engravers who worked on the American Banknote Co. and BEP, and engraved many stamps of my country between 1867 and 1911
Any biographical information will be also very useful.

The engravers:

George H. Seymour
Charles Skinner
William J.Brown
Edwin Gunn
H.P. Dawson
Louis Delnoce
Charles Burt

Thank you very very much
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/10/2012   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm able to help with one of those names...here's a brief biography of Charles Burt:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/10/2012   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some brief information on Charles Skinner who was involved with the 5c Columbian stamp issue:

Quote:
Charles Skinner, born in 1841, died on 14th March 1932. In the early 1860s he worked as a book illustrator in New York City. He joined the American Bank Note Co. in 1864 and then moved in 1874 to the Continental Bank Note Co and stayed there until his retirement in June of 1911.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/10/2012   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some information on Edwin Gunn, courtesy of the Canadian Postal Archives:

Quote:
Edwin H. Gunn , 1876-1940

Biographical Sketch:
Edwin H. Gunn, engraver, was born in 1876. His education included studies at Cooper Union Art School and the National Academy of Design in New York City. He was a member of the Salmagundi Club and the New York Water Colour Club and exhibited at the National Academy of Design and with the American Water Colour Society. Gunn was probably hired by American Bank Note Company in 1891 and was later promoted to the position of superintendent of the Engraving Division in 1923. Between 1908 and 1935, he engraved 20 Canadian stamps. They featured portraits of the royal family and a group of stamps commemorating the Confederation of Canada. He died on October 10, 1940.

Bibliographical Reference:
Hessler, Gene. "Gunn, Edwin H." The Engraver's Line: an encyclopedia of paper money and postage stamp art. Port Clinton, Ohio: BNR Press, 1993.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 08/10/2012   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little more about Charles Skinner. The reference from wt1 refers to his retirement from Continental, Continental became part of the American Bank Note Co.

He was involved in the engraving of all values of the 1893 Columbians.

His most iconic engraving was the Statue of Liberty engraved for American Bank Note Co in 1888 (this was the model used for the 1922 15cent U.S. stamp)

He also engraved some of the newspaper stamps. Below is a signed die proof.

Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 08/11/2012   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the information.

I like enrich my collection with information about the artist who created the stamps, and of course, on technical aspects such as papers, printing methods, sheets layout, plate numbers, etc.

I am a great admirer of these master artistic work and we were lucky enough to have notable engravers in many stamps of late 19th century and early 20th.

Others who engraved chilean stamps in those years were :

Charles Schlecht
Douglas S. Ronaldson
Elie Timothee Loizeaux
Robert Savage

This portrait of Columbus was engraved by Charles Skinner :

Edited by jorgesurcl - 12/11/2013 9:02 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 10/15/2013   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like that die proof and the Christopher Columbus vignette.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1685 Posts
Posted 10/16/2013   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the quote from the Canadian Postal Archives given here by wt1, they cite a reference work you might want to take note of, and track down a copy if you can. It is a work by Gene Hessler entitled The Engraver's Line. This book is all about documenting the lives and work of the men who produced the stamps and paper money that the various U.S. banknote companies prepared in the nineteenth and 20th centuries.

To give you a sample of what this book can do, here is the bio portion of the entry on E.T. Loizeaux: It begins with a portrait of him that was engraved by a co-worker, John Hay.

Next to this is a brief biographical sketch:

It is a bit unusual for Hessler to reproduce a written work by one of his subjects, but he does that here:

And then he lists of some of the projects Loizeaux worked on for banknote, securities (bonds and stock certificates) and stamps. That runs for another page and a half in this case.

Given what you are saying about your interest in the men behind the stamps, an interest I happen to share, I think you will find Hessler's book a welcome addition to your library.
Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 12/11/2013   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
essayk, thank you very much for the information!

The image of Columbus that I showed before was used in an Uruguayan banknote printed by ABNCo, and issued in 1887. The same one was also used in a banknote of Puerto Rico issued in 1909.

I said that it was engraved by Elie Timothée Loizeaux. That was erroneous : the engraver was Charles Skinner (I already did the correction in the corresponding post).

So...in this banknote the portrait of Columbus was engraved by Charles Skinner and the portrait of King Victor Emmanuel II of Italy was engraved by Charles K. Burt.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5319 Posts
Posted 12/11/2013   9:20 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two that you don't mention are responsible for starting the Chinese Bureau of engraving and Printing, Lorenzo J Hatch (BEP) and William Grant (ABN co). Their designs include the Curtis Jenny over the Great wall and the beautiful Temple of Heaven.

Very good read on them here.

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/reso...eproofs.html
United States
1 Posts
Posted 04/15/2015   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bache to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charles Skinner was born 14 Mar 1841 in Lambeth, London, England. His father, Charles Edward Skinner was an artist in London and his mother died when he was 4. Charles immigrated to New York City in May 1856, alone, at age 15. About 1863, he married Emma Pauling, who's parents were English immigrants to N.Y.C. They had 2 sons. His nephew, Frederick C. Pauling (1871-1939) was an engraver for the Franklin Bank Note Co, ABNCo and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington D.C. Charles Skinner retired around 1915 and died at age 91 in New Rochelle, New York. I am researching his family history for his great granddaughter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
935 Posts
Posted 04/15/2015   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Historical DNA Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome to the forum Bache! Thanks for contributing!
Ryan = HDNAC = DNA = HDC = Hysterical DNA Collector = Historical DNA Collector = me who just loves stamps :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1685 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bache, and Welcome.

As you may be able to tell from above I have considerable interest in the lives of the men behind the stamps, and delight in getting good authoritative info. Skinner is of particular interest since I have a number of die essays and proofs signed by him. I have been planning to do a bio article on him myself.

If it is not an imposition, would you mind sharing the source(s) of the info on Charles Skinner you shared here? You have more family detail than I have turned up. If you are willing you could post it/them here or send me a private message via the SCF link for personal email at the link on my avatar name. Obviously, if this all comes from unpublished family records and correspondence, then we will just have to wait for you, or your contact person, to publish your work. But it would be a help. Thanks.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts
Posted 03/30/2018   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An article entitled LOS GRABADORES DE SELLOS Y BILLETES CHILENOS DE LA AMERICAN BANK NOTE COMPANY by Jorge Torelli may be of interest.

Download it from
http://www.mascoleccionismo.com/pub.../AFE-017.pdf

Hope this helps, albeit six years late! GLENN
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05