Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Postcards For Your Pleasure

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 5,759Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/23/2012   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jamesw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked a number of postcard this evening. All are addressed to Miss Lydia Johnson of Ravenna Ontario, and are dated between 1907 and 1920.
Since I know some of you folks collect this sort of treasure, I thought I'd share some.
Many are beautiful, some funny, some poignant.

Rowardennan, Loch Lomond

Postmarked December 8, 1914 at Largs Ayrshire

Moonlight over the Florida Coast

Postmarked November 26, 1912 with a nice flag cancel at Gainseville Florida

Hotel Tours, rooms from a dollar a day. Bit of a time capsule.

Postmarked on August 5, 1914 at New Providence Iowa. New Providence is at tiny town with a population of 228 (2010 census) and the scene of the 'Water Tower Disaster' in 2000 where a crane building the town's new water tower collapsed and killed a worker. The footage appeared on the tv show 'Destroyed in Seconds'. Nice Panama-Pacific Balboa stamp though.

Cowboy's Kitchen, the chuck wagon, Western Canada

Postmarked Milestone Saskatchewan on June 4, 1917. King George V war tax stamp.

Pretty yet un-named sepia toned shot of river scene.

Postmarked Newmarket Ontario (about 10 km from my place) on November 29, 1909.

Bucolic scene of Ranch Cattle coming up ravine.

I'm afraid the back of this one defies description.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33669 Posts
Posted 08/23/2012   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very late example of "criss-cross" writing James, :)
Often seen in early pre-stamp entires.

Love the Chuck Wagon, no doubt Rowdy Yates is out with the herd.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
criss-cross? Well thanks Rod, I'd never heard of that. Goes to show that even something that seems like mere detritus can have some significance.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamesw: great to see the 1916 Canada Scott#MR4 King George V war tax stamp on the Cowboy's Kitchen postcard. Do you know the exact location for the pastoral scene near Newmarket?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hy cynical.
Nemarket? There's a water system that runs through the town, most of it buried now, and it culminates in a body of water called Fairy Lake. But the town is so built up now, it's difficult to figure out if the image is from there at all.
Several of the cards in the collection were sent from different locations than pictured on the front. There were three alone sent from Central City Nebraska in 1909 that picture landmarks in Paris France. So the location of the lovely riverbank is anybodies guess.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James said:

Quote:
Postmarked on August 5, 1914 at New Providence Iowa. New Providence is at tiny town with a population of 228 (2010 census) and the scene of the 'Water Tower Disaster' in 2000 where a crane building the town's new water tower collapsed and killed a worker. The footage appeared on the tv show 'Destroyed in Seconds'. Nice Panama-Pacific Balboa stamp though.

I just watched that the other night. It was great big blue water tower and almost all the towns people were out to see the doins' when it happened. Such a tragedy.

Really some wonderful postcards James. I, too, never seen the "criss-cross" writing. Sort of neat!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cards jamesw

Some of the old British postcards can be found with very neat and clear strikes of the cancellations. I have come across some, and, I have some with the British 'squared-circle' cancellations and you would swear that you are looking at a proof of the strike, not just a postmark that cancelled the stamp.

I also saw the episode of "Destoyed In Seconds". That was a tragedy alright.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 08/24/2012 12:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments.
Here's another card sporting a KGV war tax stamp.

Crescent Road, looking east
Rosedale, Toronto Ont. Canada.
Rosedale is still a very posh neighbourhood. Note the policeman on horse patrol wearing his English style bobbie hat.

Postmarked in Toronto on September 4, 1918 with a nice clear Canadian National Exhibition event cancel.

This MR4 is a different shade of brown than the one on the cowboy postcard. While both Die II, this one is a brown while the other is more of a yellow brown, making that stamp a MR4i
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cards James, thanks for sharing
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a Billig's Handbook on the Canadian War Tax stamps. It has long been out of print but still available through the reputable online philatelic book dealers and in auctions every now and then.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1291 Posts
Posted 02/17/2013   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One from New Brunswick.

Edited by stampfan9 - 02/17/2013 09:22 am
Learn More...
United States
4729 Posts
Posted 02/17/2013   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cards, James.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 02/17/2013   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Irony of the Florida "moonlight" card sent from Gainesville -- that's a long way from the "coast."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 02/19/2013   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were three alone sent from Central City Nebraska in 1909

That's about fifteen minutes northeast of me. Also a small town - just shy of 3,000 in the 2010 census.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 5,759Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05