Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

DUTCH and Spain precancel  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1003 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this what you are looking for?

http://precancels.com/wordpress/wp-...rCancels.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
18981 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Italy
11 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fabiov58 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 22crowns for the link to Glossary: very usefull.
Bye fabiov58
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4352 Posts
Posted 08/27/2012   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod and 22crows

This does explain a lot. I will keep that url on file.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
505 Posts
Posted 07/04/2013   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been collecting Spain for a number of years and was always under the assumption that Spain did not have any precancels, until I read this in Theo Van Dam's book "A Postal History of Spain":

"7. PRECANCELS (Franqueo Concertado)
In 1879 a system for pre-cancels was used for a short time, known as "Franqueo Concertado" (lit. "franking by agreement") with the 1878 and 1879 Alphonso XII (Scott Types A31-33) issues, and very rarely on the 1889 Alphonso XIII "Pelon" or "Babyhead" stamps (Scott Type A34).
The system consisted of monthly payments on account for the postage due. This amount was paid in sheets or large blocks of adhesives, which were cancelled at the Correo Central (Main Post Office) in Madrid with an hexagonal marking. This accounts for the large multiples of the 1879 and 1882 issues often with original gum."

Then I found this entry in the book "Billig's Handbook on Postmarks, volume 13, The Postal Markings of Spain", also by Van Dam, that pertains to the same thing including a sample of the marking.

Then I did some searching in my stash of duplicates and found a few of what I believe to be these "precancels".

The 4 Una Peseta stamps on the left appear to be a block of 4 that have been broken apart, but on closer examination of the cancels they are actually 4 different sections of the same type of cancel. They also have full gum. The one on the right has no gum.

I'm not sure if these are considered "pre-cancels" like what are normally seen elsewhere, but Theo Van Dam seemed to think they were.

So I guess Spain did issue at least a type of pre-cancel.
Edited by spain_1850 - 07/04/2013 3:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5821 Posts
Posted 07/04/2013   3:42 pm  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for sharing. Now to look through my dupes.

APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
505 Posts
Posted 07/04/2013   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem. I actually bought one of the high values in one of these sets (4 peseta grey, if I remember right) believing the cancel to be a genuine postal use. Now, thinking back, I see the high values on eBay all the time and alot of them have this type of "precancel" being sold as a postal usage. I'm glad I discovered this tidbit of information before I spent too much on filling some of my holes.
Valued Member
Italy
11 Posts
Posted 07/04/2013   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fabiov58 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting information!
Thank you!
Fabiov58
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1017 Posts
Posted 12/21/2013   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chasa:
I don't think I posted to this thread, but I find your Netherland precancels, posted back on the first page of this string, interesting. It looks to me like a roller drum type of cancel similar to the roller drum cancels used here in the US. I think I have seen similar cancels on Dutch Postal Stationery, but that is only a memory flicker, I go through so much postal stationery that seeing and remembering are usually two different things. I don't think I have picked up any with this type of cancel on stationery, but will look through my stuff.

In addition to the stamped precancels, other than Canada and the US, are there any other countries that may use precancels on Postal Stationery.

I found a small very elusive sub collection of US precancels, and that is on US Postal Card Postal Stationery. There are a few that have been issued, but one VERY seldom ever sees any of it for sale these days. Oh well, interesting thread.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4352 Posts
Posted 12/22/2013   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also regarding Chasa's image on the first page, I would like to ask if these cancellations are the ones referred to a 'life saver' types??

Thank you

Chimo

Bujutsu
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Scott 498 - different colours..??
  Minnesota Stamp Expo
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Morocco Page not Usually seen in Big Blue
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?

$2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Minnesota Stamp Expo
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Scott 498 - different colours..??
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Morocco Page not Usually seen in Big Blue
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Automatic Supplements
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  Total eclipse scott number
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  New to Plate Block Collecting
  2017 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?
  Need help! Have big collection of early stamps
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  Reorganizing Scott International
  Globes
  Classifying Official/Penalty Envelopes

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05