Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cut Squares, General Identification Help

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 35,803Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The four in the bottom row are all dark violet on white paper. Looks like a couple U436a (middle 2) and some U436b/c/d on the left and right. Hard to tell without full scans and some measurements.

During the period of 1914 through the end of WW I, the quality of paper used for envelope stock was varied and generally poor. "War Paper" was an extreme version. The four cut squares in your scan are typical of white paper from the period.

The purple 3 cent-ers start with watermark 28, which was produced starting in 1929. The dark violet 3 cent-ers are all on watermark 19/20 paper, which was made from 1915 through 1918/9.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oddly enough I have a complete set of all the different paper types.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
944 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ThomasGalloway - Thanks much! So much to learn, and this place is just the place to find the information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
944 Posts
Posted 10/03/2012   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ThomasGalloway - Haven't had time to download that program to help me measure my cut squares, but I did notice that my normal photo editing program already has measuring tool in it as well. I use Irfanview.

Did a couple of test measures on ones I previously measured with a mm scale, by eye, just to see if I was close.

I just grabbed 2 out of the pile that I had previously determined were the LARGE head varieties. Scott's lists these as measuring 9.25 mm. The 2 I measured were 9.10 mm and 9.40 mm. Even though these don't measure precisely the 9.25 mm, would I assume they are both the LARGE head variety?

Some of these seem to measure between the 9.25 mm (LARGE) and 8.75 mm (small), and seem to vary depending on how heavy the die was inked. How do I determine which way to go?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 10/03/2012   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the 2-cent and 3-cent Circular dies, you have the following head sizes:

9.5 mm (Scott dies 2,3)
9.25 mm (Scott dies 1,4,9)
9.0 mm (Scott dies 7,8)
8.75 mm (Scott dies 5,6)

The UPSS catalog does a much better job of describing these guys. Grab one of those if you ever get the chance.
Edited by ThomasGalloway - 10/03/2012 8:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
944 Posts
Posted 10/03/2012   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That helps out tremendously! Once again it looks like Scott's is inadequate except for basic information and identification.

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
944 Posts
Posted 10/14/2012   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, with all the help in this thread I've managed to identify (mostly correct, I hope) all of the 2 cent reds and 3 cent purples. Now I've complicated matters a bit......I bought a small group of cut squares off eBay. Most are other denominations than the commonly found ones, and I've already managed to identify most, but ran into a few glitches.

First, I just noticed in the U.S. specialized catalog that some catalog numbers begin with a "W", while most begin with a "U". What's the significance?
For instance, in the picture below I have a 1 1/2c brown on manilla. The catalog gives 2 different cat. numbers for this - U484 and W485, both with the same description. Which would this be?

Second concerns the identity of the 9c on the left. Scott's gives 3 choices U66 lemon, U67 orange, and U67b yellow orange. I'm assuming it's one of the lower values of the 3, opinions?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/14/2012   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First, I just noticed in the U.S. specialized catalog that some catalog numbers begin with a "W", while most begin with a "U". What's the significance?

Re-read the closing paragraph in the Scott Specialized Catalog introduction of the section "Stamped Envelopes and Wrappers":

Quote:
"Wrappers are listed with envelopes of corresponding design, and are numbered with the prefix "W" instad of "U"."

Then, if you read the sentence below W485 (the last catalog number beginning with the prefix "W"), it states:

Quote:
"The manufacture of newspaper wrappers was discontinued in 1934."
Edited by wt1 - 10/14/2012 1:52 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/14/2012   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Second concerns the identity of the 9c on the left. Scott's gives 3 choices U66 lemon, U67 orange, and U67b yellow orange.

What Scott Specialized Catalog are you using? I have a 2011 edition and there is no U67b listing. Rather, there is a Scott U67a defined as "orange yellow" (buff paper). I don't think your scan is a U67a, as this is an image of a known copy, which differs from yours:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
944 Posts
Posted 10/14/2012   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My catalog is a bit older, it's 1998. But looking at it again, mine does indeed say U67a not b. I just zigged when I should have zagged as I was typing.

On my monitor, the one you posted looks more yellow than mine, so I am assuming mine is would be U67 (orange).

I re-read the passages in Scott's, pertaining to the W prefix, and now I understand.

I will just have to reread the entire stamped envelopes and wrappers section again. I'll probably find other things I missed as well.

Thanks for the information.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 10/14/2012   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another one, to add the spectrum of colors for this die.

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread needs a gentle nudge or a *BUMP* as I find it very informative to the postal stationery inclined!
Valued Member
86 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ilovelabbies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I Love Stamps.

I collect postal stationary and don't know much about identification, except when someone helps me out.

I think the best advice I can give is to get ahold of a copy of the UPSS 19th and 20th Century Catalogues from their website. I plan on getting them soon.
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
Posted 04/27/2013   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jobi01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post your questions. Thomas and I are both happy to help. Thomas tends to get to the questions sooner. And our most recent UPSS catalogs are a major step forward for identifying your items. High res color pictures, sometimes with circles and arrows, and of course with a paragraph on the back of each one.

Edited to add: I am on the editorial committee for both UPSS catalogs.
Edited by jobi01 - 04/27/2013 5:41 pm
Valued Member
86 Posts
Posted 04/28/2013   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ilovelabbies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jobi01

Nice to know that there are other members here that are really into cut squares and postal stationary.

I will start a new post and see if you can answer some of my questions and identify some of my postal stationary/squares.

Thanks!
Edited by ilovelabbies - 04/28/2013 4:58 pm
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 35,803Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05