Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cut Squares, General Identification Help

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 35,839Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that is a UO53. Notice the queue does not project below the bust.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your input so far here is the scan of the ones I wanted to get good catalog numbers on and everything so far I have posted has been 300dpi this scan here is up a notch to 400dpi

Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ps the writing on the page is some one elses and I don't know where they are getting those 4000 series numbers unless they had a different catalog other then scott numbers to go by when the put these on this page
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW here is UO20 scanned by itself

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you are seeing as 4000 series numbers, actually are UOxx series catalog numbers.

The bust of Washington on the scan you are calling UO20 does not have an extension of the queue below the bust (see the UO36 in your group of 5), which it would need to have in order to be a UO20.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
this is UO20 from the USPS catalog I scanned it direct from their book - it is the same one I posted earlier. if you all think it is anything else it is listed in the 36 edition usps guide to us stamps page 315

- I figured out his numbering system a while back his 4s are really U's and look like 4s or W's so it looks like his numbers on the cut corners are correct and match the book, initially I didn't know if he ment wrapper or what, lol oh well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 03/04/2014   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay - this is a great thread for me right now. I recently purchased a BOB lot on eBay which contained a bunch of cut squares, including a really nice unused U314 or U321. It has probably the sharpest nicest emboss I've seen on a square. Scans really don't do it justice. The second image I scanned on an angle and changed the contrast for a better scan of the impression. I would like expert opinion on this one. The blue diagonal laid paper is so crisp it actually has a sheen to it. Plus, the back is printed also. This must be an offset? What do you think???!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 03/05/2014   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
U314.

I'm really interested in this "scanning on an angle". Please describe how you do this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 03/05/2014   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Any idea about the back? What's the deal?

Quote:
I'm really interested in this "scanning on an angle". Please describe how you do this.

Since scanners provide flat,even light, not directional light, I just propped one edge of the square up with an eraser when scanning. Shows off the impression better.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 03/06/2014   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what you want re the back. It has a nice well-inked offset image, as is obvious.
These things are created when the press cycles and there is no envelope blank to receive the ink. Schplot! The ink gets imprinted on the platen. The next few blanks then pick up that ink on their backside as they pass through the machinery, attenuated in intensity.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 03/06/2014   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Thomas! So is this very common? Is it considered a freak? How about value?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 03/06/2014   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taken as a whole, they are common. And at that level they bring very little added value to an envelope, and in some cases may even detract from its value.

However, he said wagging his index finger skyward, if you make a serious study of it, there is ample opportunity to develop a fun little specialty. Then, if there are others with that specialty, you can generate some nice price increases (or not so nice, if you are the buyer ;-) ).

Some presses are prone to generating offset, for others it is quite rare, if not impossible. Find an envelope from a Miehle press with offset and you've got a rarity. And we should include setoff in our little specialty. Setoff being a impression that comes from wet ink on another envelope (as opposed to ink from the platen).

Offset images that are multi-toned can present interesting puzzles. Like, how did this happen?

Valued Member
410 Posts
Posted 04/17/2014   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinWatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the "knob of hair at back of neck" that is described for die 3 on a Franklin U92 design (1c Green)?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 04/17/2014   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a good example of the die you refer to:

I think your example doesn't exhibit the knobishness of a die 129 (Scott die 3).
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 35,839Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05