Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cut Squares, General Identification Help

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 32,754Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
410 Posts
Posted 04/17/2014   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinWatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great square! Thanks for the example because it is very hard to tell by the picture in the Scott Cat.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Germany
1 Posts
Posted 05/31/2015   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rumburak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and greetings from Germany!

I found some stamps in my basement, well I collected as a boy.

I wonder if someone can please help me identifying this stamp.

Square cut,imprint, Blue , 1 cent.

Can you please help me? Is it worth something?

Thank you in advance

Chris

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/31/2015   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you have either a U294 or U300 (if on manila paper). Catalog value is 25 cents or 35 cents respectively.

Paper colors are extremely difficult to identify in a scan because the aging of the paper combined with different scanners can sometimes skew proper identification.
Valued Member
Slovakia (Slovak Republic)
218 Posts
Posted 05/19/2017   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add iStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, is it U72? is the missing tooth concidered as production or plate error? Paper type is impossible for me to ID.

I used this tool I found and image of "what to look for in U71 vs U72" http://dubinweb.com/postageindex.html
thanks

Pillar Of The Community
552 Posts
Posted 05/19/2017   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you have a type U71 on white paper. Which is a U311.

There is no missing tooth, but rather a filled gap between two teeth. This would be a printing variety.

The two notches in the outer frame line under the "O" in TWO could well be damage to the working die, which would mean a die variety. We would need to find several more examples before anointing it as such.

Thanks for bringing this cut square to the forum. The more the better.

Valued Member
218 Posts
Posted 05/21/2017   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add iStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I am just not sure about paper color regarding the U71.

I ID those two cuts 2&3c as U93, any additional info would be great. thanks

Pillar Of The Community
552 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The three cent is a U436e (die 7), the two cent is U429 (die 1). Both on white paper.
Valued Member
218 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add iStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thanks

I'm totally lost in the following cut squares from postal cards (I have only those uploaded) and do not know where to look for info, any advice is appreciated. thanks

]

Valued Member
218 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add iStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the last two

Pillar Of The Community
552 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogs do not cover postal card cut corners, only entires.
By and large, collectors don't collect cut corners.

Was it the chicken or the egg? Dunno.

Doesn't really matter.

If you choose to collect them, you may find it lonely.

[this opinion is based on the U.S. market. I don't have any knowledge of other countries]
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 11/07/2017   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aurora to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great discussion, a lot to learn. Thank you.
Am I correct that it is oriental buff design U80 Scott U369?

Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 11/07/2017   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aurora to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one more question - are these Design U72 Scott U321?
Thank you.

Edited by Aurora - 11/07/2017 9:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
552 Posts
Posted 11/08/2017   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re design U79 v U80: The ink blob from the cancel makes it very difficult to determine whether Washington's queue is tied in a ribbon or not.
Pillar Of The Community
552 Posts
Posted 11/08/2017   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re U72 and U321:
1. I wouldn't call it a design U72, just looking at it. Not enough detail to make the call for the higher catalog value.
2. I make this envelope out to be a size 8 (using screen measurements; correct me if you have more precise numbers). I can see the watermark 8. The UPSS catalog only has size 10 for W8 for U321.

I'll have to go with U314 (UPSS # 985-8).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 11/08/2017   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aurora, I think your 1901 cover to Clapp and Sons is U79 on buff. I've marked the point of the bust pointing at the middle of the second notch, and the indented queue.

The greens appear to be U70 and U71. The tops of the heads are different.
Edited by littleriverphil - 11/08/2017 11:19 am
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 32,754Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05