Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps With Camera's Or Photographers

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 177 / Views: 20,575Next Topic
Page: of 12
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The U.S. Dorothea Lange "Migrant Mother" stamp (Sc.3185m) reminds me to post this group from Palau.
Issued January 2 2014 celebrating the modern art of photography, there are two honoring Lange by showing photos taken during the Great Depression (Sc. 1192a and 1192b), as well as one by Lewis Hine (Sc.1192c).

The three on a mini-sheet with prominent selvage showing Lange's 1936 photo. The photo is most often just called "migrant mother," but it was of Florence Owens Thompson (1903 - 1983) and two of her children daughters Katherine McIntosh (on the left) and Norma Rydlewski (in Thompson's arms). The children were still alive when Sc. 3185m was issued which makes the stamp something of an exception in U.S. postal history.

There is substantial back-story to the photo, as the New York Times noted in this 2018 article.

- Jonathan

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phtetm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection

Edward Jean Steichen (1879 – 1973) was a Luxembourgish American photographer, painter, and curator.

Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phtetm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jleb1979

I always thought. Why holocaust? But, I get it now.
Also, I read the article about the migrant mother.There is very good information.

Thank you very much.

Ali
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a stamp from Malta I got in last night.
Part of a group of greeting stamps issued 9 February 2000. This one includes a framed photograph sitting on a desk. Those interested in the thread for stamps on stamps should include this one. I'll also post to the one on writing implements if it is not already there.
Sc. 999, Yvert 1088 perf 14.

Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phtetm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection

01/07/2002 Gambia

Uno's Year of Eco Tourism .

Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phtetm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection

FDC 19/05/2004 Balękesir / Turkey

M.Emin TAN photography library and museum
Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phtetm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection

France 18/01/2002

Aerial photography by Yann Arthus-Bertrand from his photographic exhibition
"Earth from above"

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two stamps from the Australian Antarctic Territory which depict photographer Frank Hurley (1885 - 1962) at work on the ice with his camera and tripod.

At left is the 2014 issue Mi 221 Scott L181b(? don't have that catalog handy) which was one of five devoted to the Australasian Expedition (Mawson's) of 1911-14. At right is the 2016 issue Mi. 240 (Sc. L200?) which was one of five devoted to the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition (1914-1916) all traveling as "Hurley's Journey" featuring his photographs.

The latter expedition was the famous Shackleton adventure. Hurley dove into the water to rescue plates and kit after the hull of the Endurance was crushed by ice. As they prepared to sledge several hundred miles over the ice, he bargained with Shackleton to keep 150 glass plates and the rest were smashed. He also kept a small pocket camera and documented more of the adventure, including Shackleton's departure in a small open boat to get help from South Georgia. Shortly after rescue he went to Europe as a war photographer. Hurley had enough hair-raising adventures to fill several lives.

The full sets are reproduced after the two relevant stamps.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here from the Cocos Islands (Keeling) Australia is a 2013 issue (Sc. 367) depicting a sea turtle in the foreground and an underwater photographer with camera in background, following a general design tendency noted earlier. Lowest denomination in a set of five; also issued in form of a SS (with four other stamps) Scott # 371a.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 06/19/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an entry from Mali which I do not believe has been shown in this thread. From 1983, the sesquicentennial of the death of Nicephore Niepce. Scott 479.

first the standard issue perforated 13.
then the imperforate which I show in a gutter block I just got.

Valued Member
22 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phtetm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frankmark From my collection 12/12/1986 Germany
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France 987 with Legendary film pioneer George Melies celebrating the 100 anniversary of his birth.
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 177 / Views: 20,575Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05