Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Show Us Your Classic Advertising Covers!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Buffalo State Asylum has a pretty macabre history. From https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new...-buffalo-ny/ comes the following description:

"Referred to by most as the H.H. Richardson Complex, this abandoned state asylum was home to many primitive psychiatric treatments during its up and running. Completed in the late 1800's, unfortunately the knowledge of mental health issues was nowhere near where it is today. Performing lobotomies, sterilizations, and many other unorthodox practices on patients is what many believe, fueled the paranormal fire. Closed to the public, this now empty asylum remains still with the chatter of former patients and spirits inside its halls."

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 09/01/2019   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MaryC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a more modern one for contrast.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Aviatik:

I like your Marshal Islands cover and glad to see someone else collecting the more contemporary advertising covers. If cover collecting survives, they will be the classics of tomorrow.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little ratty and roughly opened, but a clear cancel. I've put it in my Commercial Covers collection for it's illustrated corner card.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1935 cover from a NYC company advertising multi-colored packaging.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A cover from the Northwestern School of Taxidermy, probably from the 1950s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A cover from The Danish Pioneer, a foreign language publication for one of the many ethnic groups in 19th- and 20th-century Nebraska. A 1907 Racine, WI., receiving cancel on the reverse.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Nebraska radio station's call letters are the advertising feature of this cover. KMMJ began broadcasting from Clay Cednter, NE in 1925 and continued until 1939 when the owner sold the station and it moved to Grand Island, NE. An internet check places it in O'Neil, NE now where it operates as a Christian programing station.

Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DonSellos--I like your "bird" covers. So many classic covers lack color. It's good to see some lively ones.
The address on your KMMJ cover sparked an odd thought--I didn't know you could grow prunes. Aren't they just dried plums?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The address on your KMMJ cover sparked an odd thought--I didn't know you could grow prunes. Aren't they just dried plums?

Hi aviatik:

Yes, dried plums, and as far as I know prunes started their existence as plums. Maybe some growers specialized in growing plumes for prunes only. lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure this 1945 cover qualifies as a "classic," but it is interesting for the occupation the association represents, i.e. Line Yard Operators. Since acquiring the cover, I have learned that a line yard operator is/was an individual who owned and/or operated three or more small independent lumber yards. Probably not many independent lumber yards around anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This 1935 Sioux City, Iowa, piece of business stationery is from a company that specialized in adhesives. An Internet search indicates there is still a Western States Mfg Co., in Sioux City that now specializes in tire and tire repair products. Not sure it is the same company as noted in this corner card.
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A marriage made in heaven. Clough was famous for his corkscrews and Myers for his bourbon. They both seem to have gone out of business at the onset of prohibition.
Page: of 9  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05