Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Show Us Your Classic Advertising Covers!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
67 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

No longer fabulous but it looks like a new something fabulous is coming soon. I think the Ochopee post office is still there. At the time this cover was sent it was a contender for smallest P.O.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
67 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I couldn't find out much about this one except that they're selling patches from it online.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another, more contemporary (1960) from the taxidermy school in Omaha. It was founded and operated by F. W. Elwood who was not even a taxidermist, but a skillful mail order entrepreneur.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This 1948 cover looks like it may have been provided to passengers by the Great Norther Railway for personal correspondence.
Valued Member
67 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I guess you could say this is advertising the town itself as that years carnival was over when the cover was sent. The town is still thriving "Halibut fishing capital". They're still holding the winter carnival every February.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From academia comes this 1948 cover by the University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the Hudson Mfd Co, 1934, Chicago. Looks like Hudson's made and sold devices to apply insecticides.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2285 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice looking all over soap cover. Can't find the RPO cancel in the RPO catalog though. Unlisted? Ah-ha There it is. Was looking east or north, not south! Illustration is on page 993 vol 3 and listed on the next page of RPO catalog

Here's a close up of the RPO

# 963-X-3 San Fran & L,Ang RPO 26.5 mm black.
Edited by littleriverphil - 11/14/2019 12:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1934 cover from a manufacturer of galvanized metal or enameled steel cooking and table dining ware.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1934 advertising cover from an agricultural general store offering a wide variety of goods & services out of Portland, Maine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised to learn that strawberries are grown commercially around Stilwell, Oklahoma, and that the town holds an annual Strawberry Festival. I collected this 1958 commercial cover from the town's newspaper for its colorful strawberry cachet.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more advertising covers.

The first is from W. Shanhouse & Sons. They started manufacturing work clothes in Rockford Illinois in 1900.

I wondered what a "Motor Suit" and was able to find this advertisment.

I was unable to find much about the Dixie Mills Company in East St. Louis. Apparently milled and sold various kinds of animal feed.

From Wikipedia...
"The Locomobile Company of America was a pioneering American automobile manufacturer founded in 1899, and known for its dedication to precision in the pre-assembly-line era.[1] It was one of the earliest car manufacturers in the advent of the automobile age. For the first two years after its founding, the company was located in Watertown, Massachusetts. Production was transferred to Bridgeport, Connecticut, in 1900, where it remained until the company's demise in 1929. The company manufactured affordable, small steam cars until 1903, when production switched entirely to internal combustion-powered luxury automobiles. Locomobile was taken over in 1922 by Durant Motors and eventually went out of business in 1929. All cars ever produced by the original company were always sold under the brand name Locomobile."
Edited by gslaten - 11/22/2019 01:39 am
Valued Member
67 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I couldn't find out anything about the Moose Temple. There's a Moose lodge but their calendar is dedicated to eating, beer drinking,shuffleboard,bingo and whattf is Euchre?
I like the Motor Suit. Oh for the days when you did most of your driving with the top down. Photos from those days show drivers wearing goggles and pilot cowls like a WWI pilot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
841 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what is Euchre?

Euchre is card game, best played, as I recall, with four players as two sets of partners. A bidding game played with a reduced deck of 24 cards, nines thru face cards and aces. I haven't seen it played since the 1950s. I used to watch the old farmers play in the local pool halls of Iowa when I was a teenager. Passions would occasionally run quite hot in close games.

Sounds like the Saginaw Moose Lodge is a great hangout on cold winter days, and hot summer ones, too, if air conditioned and the beer is cold.

Don
Valued Member
67 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info on Euchre,saved me some googling. I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the moose lodge. It struck me as odd that their calendar was the same every month. You can do most of that stuff at home but on further thought, there's either a crucial social aspect that I'm missing or being a social club instead of a bar they may get a break on liquor laws.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05