Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Show Us Your Classic Advertising Covers!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 132 / Views: 19,374Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Plains Hotel cover may have been shown before. I did a search and didn't see it in this thread. In 1960 I was working as a substitute mail clerk for the Postal Transportation System,(the successor to the Railway Mail Service), and I worked on the Omaha & Ogden ED a couple of times. The crew changed at Cheyenne. The Plains offered a discount to railway mail clerks and we stayed there overnight. It is still in operation.

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always liked that Plains Hotel cover and have that design. I've seen one other multicolor type (a different guy, I think) and wondered if there was a whole series. There is also a somewhat different black-and-white design.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/23/2019 7:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've seen one other multicolor type (a different guy, I think) and wondered if there was a whole series. There is also a somewhat different black-and-white design.

Maybe someone will post one. I'd like to see them as it is a favorite of mine as well. I have seen only the one posted.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   11:50 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2475 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's four more hotels.

One of my favorites, although it is un-used is this 1878 Mendocino Agricultural Association cover. While un-used, I can date it because Mr. Kraker was the Secretary only in 1878.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This company appears to have manufactured precision tools, metal parts, rods, and steel tubing. I wonder if the possible double entendre on [i]The Shaft[i], i.e. a metal rod or a ban experience, was intentional.
Edited by DonSellos - 11/26/2019 11:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While not a clear postmark, a Gallup NM back stamp indicates this cover was posted in Crystal, NM in 1906. A territorial cover for New Mexico, but the postmark does not so indicate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1940 cover from the Huron, South Dakota, chamber of commerce proclaiming the ease of transportation in and out of the city.
Valued Member
112 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Huron cover nudged my imagination a little. "Come to Huron! You can get out as fast as you got in!" It made me wonder if maybe they had a past history of stranded travelers-old motto "You can't get there from here".

I wonder if they still used that cover after Pearl Harbor. That plane in the cachet looks awfully Japanese.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
856 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An #88 on an advertising cover not too shabby u thought!
I've got a few to share.
Cheers

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
856 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of #114
Pity the white advertising cover doesn't show up well, I might try my scanner

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
856 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more
Front and back

And this one I like because it has the exhibition cancel, it's a front only and in pretty rough condition but worth a show!

Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if they still used that cover after Pearl Harbor. That plane in the cachet looks awfully Japanese.

Hi Aviatik:

Interesting observation! It could have been mistaken as Japanese with that red circle on the fuselage. My impression of the airplane is that it is a stylized rendering of a Beechcraft Model 18, a late 1930s design intended for sale to small regional airlines of the time. It did not have much success in that role.

Don

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 132 / Views: 19,374Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05