Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

905 / 905B On Local Precancels?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 7,529Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/16/2012   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JanS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two 905s from Augusta Georgia (T-255) that seem different in color, but I don't really know what 905 vs. 905b look like, so one could just have had a harder life. The one on the left looks a bit more reddish to me?. Maybe?

I know there were a couple of Bureau 905b's, but did 905b ever get precancelled locally, and can anyone help me on the coloring?

Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/16/2012   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Scott Specialized Catalog of US Stamps, Scott #905 was noted to be available in both a "violet" and "light violet" color (no difference in value), which I think is what is shown in your scan.

The much scarcer (and valuable) reddish-violet variety , Scott #905b are noted to all have been precanceled either in Los Angeles, California, or Fremont, Ohio, so that would exclude your example as being part of that group.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/16/2012   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison, I just pulled these images off of various internet websites that depicts a 905b with both the Los Angeles, CA and Fremont, OH precancels:

Admittedly, the colors appear much deeper, but since scanners can create some illusion about color, I'm sure that any possible 905b variety would require expertizing to really confirm it.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/16/2012   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JanS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the LA and Fremont examples are Bureaus, though, printed in DC.

My Augusta precancel is a Local type, so I am trying to work out whether Locals were made of 905b in addition to it being Bureau-precancelled for LA and Fremont.

If 905b wasn't precancelled locally, I can forget the whole issue (hooray) but I'd hate to dispose of a 905b by accident, even precancelled!
Edited by JanS - 10/16/2012 5:01 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/16/2012   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As stated earlier, all 905b's were precanceled either in LA or Fremont, Ohio. No other examples exist.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/17/2012   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JanS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, great, thanks -- I wasn't sure originally if the Specialized you mentioned was talking purely about Bureau precancels or if they meant there were no other 905b precancels at all. One less complication to deal with.
Valued Member
28 Posts
Posted 09/07/2017   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pastime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although all 905b's were precancelled either in LA or Fremont, is it true that most LA & Fremont precancels are 905's?
Valued Member
28 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pastime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a current listing on eBay. According to the 2014 Scott Specialized, "All examples of No. 905b are precanceled either Los Angeles or Fremont, Ohio." Has that changed?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/905b-REDDIS...AOSwt5hYYmtV
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2485 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most LA and Fremont bureau precancels are the common 905 variety. To clarify, they were not precancelled in Freemont and LA, they were precancelled in Washington DC during the stamp printing process.
Valued Member
28 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pastime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
chasa, thank you for the clarification and sorry for the slip up. They're not called "bureau" precancels for no reason!
Steve
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 7,529Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05