Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland Recovered From The Sea

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,517Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
163 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a sample of my Red Tint Variety.

a "Normal" backing with the Red Tint Variety to compare

My understanding is that a shipment of the 3 cent Victoria from the American Bank Note Company in New York was on a ship that sunk in 1895.

The shipment of stamps was recovered causing all the gum to disappear. So there should be no "legitimate" used copies of this stamp.

And here is some of my Shade Examples

Trodent
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
163 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, just found this article.

https://www.rpsl.org.uk/gplstatic/B...9_Vol-02.pdf

It is on page 50, bottom left

Newfoundland Stamps wrecked.
According to the Metropolitan Philatelist
(U.S.) a curious story is going the 'rounds of
the press about the shipwreck of a supply
of Newfoundland stamps. Here is the story:
''Postage stamps valued at over $100,000,
which were shipped by the American Bank
Note Company to the Newfoundland Government
have been washed ashore on the Island of Cuttyhunk from the wreck of the steamer Silvia.
The stamps came ashore in a single box,
which was cast aside by the male wreckers,
but was quickly seized by the women. Many
sheete of the stamps have been given away,
and some are said to have been sold. They
are in two and five cent denominations.
One woman is said to have possession of all
the five-cent stamps, valued at $80,000."
History repeats Itself.
Strange to say, this is not the first time that
a supply of Newfoundland stamps has been
shipwrecked.
Some years ago new issue . chroniclers
were very much puzzled by copies ojf the 3c. of
1890, grey, on pink paper.
A fter a time came the explanation that they
formed part of a supply which had been recovered from a wreck, and that the pink paper
was due to the sea water having got into
a package of stamps.
I have a copy which retains its pink paper
appearance.
Valued Member
Canada
163 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

and more info about the ship S.S. Capulet which sunk off of the Coast of Newfoundland near St. Shotts on the southern tip of the Avalon peninsula on June 22, 1896

The mystery is solved regarding the Pink Paper.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dadof3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of my #60 blocks - hard to distinguish...Any thoughts as to how to discern 60a-d?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dadof3,

Hey who are the 3 by the way?

Thank you for posting your blocks. They are nice.

In my opinion, it is practically speaking near impossible to discern the a-d differences (except for the red tinged one) : Slate, Gray Lilac, Brown Lilac, Lilac and Slate Violet are your choices.

My only suggestion is that you look at them relatively to each other, and also perhaps look at my examples and Trodent's examples to forge a subjective viewpoint. Note on my examples, I also have 3 of an unknown ? because I just don't know.
I have over 70 different stamps of these, so I was able to group them relatively to each other, and then grouped them into and mounted them accordingly. But again--in my opinion there is no objective way to "discern" them--plus the price difference is negligible

I did however spend many months down that rabbit hole
Just do your best.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 06/16/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dadof3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tommy - the 3? My 3 boys...Oldest just finished grad school and working close to us. Second just in his first year of grad school. Youngest still with a year of high school to go...can't get any of them ointerested in my stamp collection, but they've all been to Newfoundland with me and love it there...

I have no confidence in the #60 shades. I've asked about 5 "experts" and gotten 5 different answers with scans...it seems nobody really knows.

I have close to 30 blocks...different light gives different results. The only one I'm relatively sure of is the 60i. I'll continue to chase it down and post any more confident result.

Any thoughts on #53-54-55?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Most important to pass on the hobby/disease, else we will all be typewriting buggy drivers. Working on my daughter slowly.

I suggest new thread on 53-55, or is there already one?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,517Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05