Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1886 Royal New Years Invitation Card "Royal Rink" $1.50 Admi

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 4,015Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
294 Posts
Posted 11/16/2012   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add UFOAirMail to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone..found this baby and was was wondering if anyone might know anything about this at all..I have googled all morning with nothing..now several weeks ago I was on this and found something about lord stanley and the stanley cup ,,montreal but like a dummy I never wrote anything down now I cant locate it again
I wonder how much a $1.50 back then was worth and what you could buy with that much ,,and how much that would be today so to say...and also wondering who that is embossed on the cover,,and on his helmet as well..this might help me out alot in my researching this piece..any help or info would be greatly appreciated as always guys..
So what do you guys think of this?

Scans~

Pictures~

Pretty darn thick and sturdy feeling card~stood it up after 2nd try
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 11/16/2012   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can go into government statistics and find all kinds of income data, etc.

In the 1880s, the average workman earned $400 to $800 per year, but that was for 6 days (in general) and 10 hours per day. But approximately, $1.50 sounds like a day's pay.

You could buy a very nice dinner for 35 cents (I have some 19th Century menus), so considering the entertainment, $1.00 would be a better fit for the working class, but $1.50 is not outrageous. And I assume that's for couples (?), thus possibly two portions of food and drinks.

Wonder if the Royal Rink was actually a decorated skating rink?

Wikipedia: "...Massachusetts businessman James Plimpton's 1863 invention of an improved roller skate led to a boom in popularity in the late 19th century, particularly in cities of the American East Coast."

However, the term "The Royal Rink" showed up repeatedly in Google, the most prominent being located in Muncie, Indiana. I then discovered that Rhine Hummel, one of the "floor managers" mentioned on the card, was an 1880s-1890s caterer in Muncie, so I think it is fairly certain this was a Muncie, Indiana event.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
Posted 11/16/2012   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAirMail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you big time Mr.Doug
A days pay for an event is a little high for but maybe not so much for a newyears party
Image on front dont seem to fit Indiana
Edited by UFOAirMail - 11/16/2012 9:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 11/16/2012   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My stupid question of the day:

On the embossed guy's helmet, are those Chinese characters or are they people dancing around?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33669 Posts
Posted 11/16/2012   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am amazed the word "hop" was around in 1886.
After 50 years I have finally understood Elvis' "sock hop ball"
in "Ready Teddy"

Still mystified to a "Flat top catch" I presume the haircut.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Embossed logo identified!

Posted on another forum, and a member says it is the Greek god Ajax; here's a company logo (from Google) which pretty well nails it:

But...no idea why Ajax appears on this card.
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAirMail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doug your killin me now!Now this is turning into another one of those great mysterys to dig into,just hope this one turns out great for a change! I just havnt had much time since I posted it to try and research ..maybe alot of Greek folks livwe in Indiana and was a private party or something??
Maybe the people on helmet are ice skating?
Have to go wrap up my things to do quick and get on this one tonight!
Edited by UFOAirMail - 11/17/2012 3:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7630 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 2011, the relative worth of $1.50 from 1886 is:
$37.00 using the Consumer Price Index
$34.80 using the GDP deflator
$198.00 using the unskilled wage
$339.00 using the Production Worker Compensation
$347.00 using the nominal GDP per capita
$1,860.00 using the relative share of GDP
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAirMail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Rev,now which one should we go by then,,lost me after $198.00
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last 3 stats are meaningless. Proportion of GDP has nothing to do with the amount of money required to maintain a household. In 1886, there were no sales taxes or income taxes, so there was little difference between gross and net income.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7630 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Income taxes started in 1862. There was also a wide range of taxes paid by stamps from 1862-1883, at least some of which affected everyone. Many of which returned in 1898.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So would around $50 be accurate?
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 11/17/2012   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The taxes paid by stamps were "use" taxes, not income or sales taxes, so paying them depended upon your consumption habits. In any case, they were trivial amounts in 1886, after the Civil War and before the 2% tax circa 1894, then the War of 1898 (and subsequently, the income taxes of 1913, via the 16th Amendment).
Edited by doug2222 - 11/17/2012 11:02 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 4,015Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05