Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can A Common SC 905 Be Rare?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,496Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
611 Posts
Posted 11/19/2012   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a question that is food for thought. The 3 cent "Win The War" Scott 905 was first issued in 1942. It is a rotary press perf 11 x 10.5 and comes in several shades of violet. The post offices placed orders for precanceled stamps. Most of these were precanceled on regular issue stamps. The offices in Los Angeles Ca. and Fremont Ohio placed orders for 10,000 for each office and the stamps had to be special printed. The post office department ran the order and they were printed in the shade called red violet and sometimes referred to as purple.
The regular Scott 905 sells for less than $1.00 and the Scott 905b (red violet) sells for $250.00 and up

My question is when the printing was made on the rotary press could they print exactly 20,000 stamps?

I doubt they could have or would have. I think there would have been some overage and they would have been placed with regular stock. What do you think?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 11/19/2012   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly. There might also have been some set-up proof sheets, printer's waste, ink trials and so on.
Would be a nice find.

Terry
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6834 Posts
Posted 11/19/2012   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
T%he Win the War stamp was printed in sheets of 400 that were cut into panes of 100, so 20,000 would be easy, 50 sheets. Since there were 20,642,793,310printed, there might be some in the scarce shade without the precancel, but I have not heard of any. However I am far from the most knowledgeable about this era.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
611 Posts
Posted 11/19/2012   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The red violet shade was made in a special run to fill the order for the respective post offices. Also, I forgot to mention the red violet isn't listed as a shade in the regular Scott 905.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jgm421 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So if somebody thinks they have this shade of purple 905 but would it be worth and how can I find out if I have one? I think I do.
Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6844 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, one thing you could do is post a scan of your off-shade together with a regular color stamp. In order for a picture to be useful you need to scan both stamps at the same time, next to one another. If you scan them separate it is almost impossible to be impartial.

Peter
United States
3 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jgm421 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's obviously the bluer one in the scan . I thought it was more purple then blue but I was wrong . Any thoughts ? Thanks
J

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6844 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to be a color changeling, meaning that the blue is not the original color. Could have happened during soaking - the paper is also blueish. The cancel looks faded out, it could be that the stamp has been in strong light.

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 09/19/2016 5:05 pm
United States
3 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jgm421 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok that's what I was trying to figure out . I hAve thousands of these but none that look like this cuz I thought the same as you until I realized it was the only one like that . Thank you for your reply . Have you ever seen this happen To a stamp ? Thanks again
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6844 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, happens all the time. On this forum you can use the "search" function. Put in the words "color changeling" and you find lots of posts. Oh, and by the way - welcome to the forum!
You will find the "search" box all the way on top of this page, just under the login.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2284 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   9:50 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My question is when the printing was made on the rotary press could they print exactly 20,000 stamps?

Print exactly 20,000 - No. Deliver exactly 20,000 to the post office - yes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4089 Posts
Posted 09/19/2016   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sc 905b reddish purple Fremont Ohio precancel catalogues $1750 mint in the 2016 Scott Specialized. The Los Angeles Calif precancel catalogues $750 mint and $500 used.

Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/19/2016 11:29 pm
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 09/29/2016   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add myfelixthecat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep your eyes open at shows, many deal are just don't know what they have.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mystryx-diamond1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of these 3 cent win the wap
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,496Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05