Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

19th Amendment Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 5,029Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add philb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i was sorting stamps and came accross this 19th amendment stamp...i have never seen one mint or used..am I alone or are there others unfamiliar with it ??

Send note to Staff
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853

Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlawson281 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PhilB,

I was aware of it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty ugly. Looks like someone just got a new version of Photoshop and went crazy.
Remember designers, Less is More!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raywrio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jamessw, correct as my mom used to say, "It's to busy.".
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5109 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
God that stamp is awful. Is that really a stamp issued by USPS?

Women should have been outraged after looking at that.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of used copies of that stamp, too. I agree it is one of worst designs they came out with that year. Believe it or not, Ashton Potter was the printer and 105,000,000 stamps were printed in panes of 40 stamps each (2,625,000 panes in total).

For those who don't have a catalog handy, it's Scott #2980 issued August 26, 1995 and there are a couple of known printing errors that really boost the stamp's value: 2980a is a "black (engr.) missing" error; and 2980b is an imperf pair; and 2980c is a vertical pair (imperf between and at bottom).

To better understand the reason behind the "busy" and "computer generated design" look, one has to consider who the designer of the stamp was: April Greiman. Here's a link to her web page that includes a number of rather radical design elements common in her artistic endeavors, although the art and educational communities have bestowed on her numerous awards for her achievements:

http://aprilgreiman.com/aprilgreiman.pdf

To quote from her background posted when she received the 1998 AIGA Medal Award:

Quote:
...in 1984, the Macintosh [computer] was making an unsteady entry into the design market. Most designers were skeptical of—if not completely opposed to—the idea of integrating the computer into design practice, perhaps fearing an uncertain future wherein the tactility of the hand was usurped by the mechanics of bits and bytes. A visionary few, including April Greiman, recognized the vast potential of this new medium. An avid fan of tools and technologies since childhood, Greiman quickly established herself as a pioneer of digital communications design. "The digital landscape fascinates me in the same way as the desert," she says. This fascination comes from the core of her being, a core of perpetual curiosity and questioning that fuels her desire to explore and inspires the cutting-edge design work that places her at the helm of integrated design at the close of the twentieth century.
Edited by wt1 - 12/02/2012 4:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My U.S. pages end with the 29 centers....its mind boggling (to me) how many stamps have been issued since then...i try to put some of the newer used stamps away as someone may be looking for one..one day !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My U.S. pages end with the 29 centers....its mind boggling (to me) how many stamps have been issued since then...

I know what you mean. I keep an updated spreadsheet to identify all of the face different stamps for the current year and for 2012 we're up to 189 face different stamps, and another 19 postal stationery items, with a face value of almost $160 (not including those coils and panes and booklets of stamps one must buy to obtain all of the varieties.

Further, the Scott Catalog numbers have already extended to #4709 and they haven't even assigned numbers yet to the last few issues of 2012!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3761 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with the general consensus that this is one of the ugliest, if not THE ugliest US stamp. When I put my copy of Cattle in the Storm next to 19th Amendment, I really wonder who is in charge of things.

I was lucky (?) enough to buy a whole sheet of these beauties. Note the "limited edition print" note on the right.

I also wondered who decided that the "20" should be a little larger, and the "95" should be MUCH larger.

I also notice that the "32" is shown as solid and hollow all throughout the sheet.

Edited by Partime - 12/02/2012 9:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 12/02/2012   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder; what's the difference between the "limited edition" print and the normal print?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
5 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveTdy26 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good evening everyone. I live in the UK and was a serious collector of US stamps, among other countries, until I took a break from collecting in 2000. I have now restarted collecting and am trying to bring my collection up to date.

I have therefore being looking at the various on-line forums with interest.

Whilst reading this forum I found this thread regarding the USA 1995 19th Amendment issue.

Recently I was sorting my USA loose stamps and came across two copies of this stamp, which I must admit could not be classed as being inspiring, but I noticed that the two printings were not identical, they can be seen in the image below.

What interested me was the fact that the black text in the stamp was positioned in different places.

The bottom pair of stamps have the text about 1.5 mm away from the margin and USA is on a band of green in the design. The single top stamp has the text touching the left frame line and the USA is 3.5 mm lower.

I have looked at various online sites, including eBay and found that there can be some variation in the position of the text.

Can anyone advise if this is a deliberate difference or a result of different printers being involved.

Thank you for any advice provided.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ashton Potter was the only printer for this issue. The positioning of the black print is correct for the bottom pair. The black print on the top stamp appears to be misregistered ... note that it is only the black print that is "misplaced". This would likely be classified as a freak.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5961 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   4:44 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a seriously atrocious design!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa, understatement of the century!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design looks like the printing was incorrect.
I had never seen this stamp before.
From the comments it would seem that this was a very unpopular stamp design.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   11:07 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve - the black used to apply the 32 and the small black text was printed by intaglio (engraved) at a different printing station the printed the bottom black panel (which was printed by offset as were the rest of the colors). The intaglio black is known to wander around on this issue due to musregistration.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 5,029Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05