Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Graf Zeppelin First Flight Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

71 Posts
Posted 12/28/2012   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Thegreentreefrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Graf Zeppelin First Flight covers Lake Hurst NJ & Around the World.
Any Idea of value??Framed with a poster of Empire State Building 1933.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 12/30/2012   12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thegreentreefrog, I am a new member here and very interested in Zeppelin stamps and covers, but I am not an expert. I have 2 questions for you - first, you state 1933, but your first image seems to show 1931, which is correct? Next, the cancellations are hard to make out, but one seems to show an August month. Can you clarify the postmarks or download a closer scan? I have the German edition of the Sieger Zeppelin post katalog and could check it for you as to postmarks carried on the Graf Zeppelin. As to value, it would be nice to make sure they are not replicas first. regards, Theron.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 12/30/2012   01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both covers seem to have odd amounts of franking, $1.05 and $3.57, if I am counting correctly. Nothing turned up googling S. D. Weiskopf. One cancel looks like Newark.
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 12/30/2012   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thegreentreefrog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Newark to Frankfort Cover Oct 27 1928
Round The World Aug 6 1929
These covers have been in my families collection for over 60 years.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 12/30/2012   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thegreentreefrog, the dates are consistent with the actual flights. The cover with the $3.55 postage had the rate for a letter carried on the complete around the world flight in 1929. Of course, only an expert could certify them but they certainly look great to me. I have seen one other cover sold on eBay that took the flight around the world for $126. The other cover which commemorated the first flight of the GZ (lz127) from the US to Germany in 1928 sells for around 30 - 50 us dollars. Presented in the way they are, the 2 covers might sell in the range of 200 to 400 bucks, perhaps more (my guess). Again, I am not an expert and I imagine that the value to you and your family is priceless. regards,
Theron.
Pillar Of The Community
1048 Posts
Posted 01/21/2013   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first flight covers themselves are of relatively small value - perhaps in the $15 to $30 each range. The reason they are not as much as what you might see having sold on eBay or elsewhere is they have some serious detractions. The first is they are both on #10 legal size envelopes. Most collectors want the smaller sized #6 envelopes as they fit better on mounting pages and in typical cover collector's storage books. The next problem is the one on the left is postmarked Newark, N.J. Most collectors want it to be either postmarked Lakehurst, N.J. which is where the Zeppelin landed and took off from, or with an on board cancellation. Quite a few of these were postmarked at various cities where the collectors who prepared them lived, but the really desireable ones have the more meaningful Lakehurst or on board cancels. The one on the right has three serious detractions in addition to it being on a legal size envelope. The first is there is no official flight cachet on the front. It is possible there could be one on the back, but more serious collectors want it on the front. The second problem the cancellation is Varick Station, New York. Again, the more avid collectors really do want either a Lakehurst, N.J. or on board cancellation. And the third problem is all three cancellations were applied upside down. Avid collectors want a cover that looks good which includes having the cancellations right side up so they are easy to read. A such they are space fillers rather than ones that would reach their full value.

The poster is not visible in the photos provided so I cannot say what the value of the poster and its frame might be, but I would assume the poster and the frame is where the value of these would be rather than these two particular flight covers and that this item was more likely made for selling to the general public rather than a stamp collector who specializes in these kinds of covers.

United States
1 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulagarey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TheGreentreeFrog:
I have a Graf Zeppelin cover with stamps and letter which was onboard the first flight of the ship in October, 1928 (stamped in Freidrichshafen Oct.10.It has the correct and appropriate stamps and other marks indicated for that time. Post cancellation is Oct.16,1928 New York. Granted it was not stamped in Lakehurst, NJ because it's ultimate destination was Trenton, NJ. This was sent to my mother's stepfather. Any info on possible value?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As the covers have been in the family for so many years, I can't believe they would be forgeries. That's a good thing as apparently there are a lot of fakes out there on the market now. And they are remarkably "good" fakes. I would like this kind of cover one day, but I will proceed with great caution.

Incidentally, is the poster one that shows a zeppelin moored on the Empire State Building?
1 Posts
Posted 06/06/2018   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add captain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Graf Zeppelin picture postcard ink stamped in violet "First Flight Airmail United States to Germany Oct 28 1928" with black cancel stamps "New York U.S.A. foreign 10-27-1928" and a black "Varick St. Sta., NY Oct 27 1928" ink stamp and a black Friedrichshafen cancel stamp dated Nov 28. It has four U.S. air mail stamps totaling 55 cents. The postcard was printed by (or for) Victor Weiskopf, Inc., (whom I believe was a NY stamp dealer) so printed and is addressed (also printed) to S.D. Weiskopf in Frankfurt, Germany.

The full-size photo on the other side is of the Graf Zeppelin D-LD217.

I've not seen a card similar to this anywhere on the internet. Can anyone tell me something about this card?

Thanks.'
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeDandy_54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Love this Zeppelin cover. While it may not be the most valuable, I am partial to pretty covers and Fourth Bureau stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
1048 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the most common of the Zeppelin flight covers/cards. This flight left Lakehurst, New Jersey on October 29, 1928 on its return from its first trans Atlantic crossing that had left Friedrichshafen on October 11, 1928 and arrived at Lakehurst, New Jersey on October 15. Your card was created to be flown on that return trip and it was one of 96,887 cards and letters that were cancelled in New York plus another 4,796 cards and letters that were cancelled at Lakehurst, New Jersey. The reason the place in the US was Lakehurst is because that was where a Naval air base that had the capacity to handle airships and blimps was located back then. The postage cost for a post card was 50 cents and $1.00 for a letter. Your postcard has an extra 5 cents postage that was not necessary, but it was likely because the sender wanted to make it pretty by using 4 different airmail stamps. Almost all of the first flight cachets were rubber stamped with violet ink, but a few were rubber stamped with black ink. The Graf Zeppelin arrived at Friedrichshafen on November 1, 1928 and all of the cards and covers that went there should have a Friedrichshafen back stamp dated November 1, 1928. I am guessing your back stamp is poorly applied and the 1 is not easily seen and that the NOV and 28 are for the month and year. If your back stamp is actually November 28, 1928 then your card was not flown on the Zeppelin and would have gone by boat. Because this is one of the most common Zeppelin first flight covers and because it was not sent and cancelled at Lakehurst where the Zeppelin actually left from, it is not hard to find and you see them sell every week on eBay in the $10 to $15 range. Some sellers try to catch unknowledgeable buyers by having starting bids much higher, but they rarely catch anyone with that trick and they go unsold. That is unless there are some very rare and expensive stamps that were used and in those cases you are buying rare used stamps with the cover itself being of little importance.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeDandy_54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It flew on the Zeppelin. Definitely one of my favorite covers and a piece of history.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeDandy_54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another first flight cover from 1929. A very attractive cover with $3.60 in postage, eight cents over the required amount for an around the world flight as shown on the cachet. On the reverse you can see the special green cancellation applied in Lakehurst. Approximately 12,000 pieces of mail made the complete trip which started Aug 8th and ended Aug29th.

Some collectors go beyond philately. What really sold me on this piece was the collection of inserts included with the cover. Apparently the sender/addressee was a teacher and collected short letters from others to include in the envelope. It helps one understand the excitement of the time.

Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those letters really make the cover special.
Pillar Of The Community
1048 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, the letter makes what is otherwise a common flight cover in poor condition into something interesting with a human dimension.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05