Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Computer Vended Stamps (2012)

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 292 / Views: 42,550Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1280 Posts
Posted 04/05/2013   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received my new strips today. 3 and 4 diff values on same backing paper strip, as well as a attached pair of the 63c

https://www.stampcommunity.org/uploaded/gilles le timbre/20130405_

strip4diffvalues.jpg
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1280 Posts
Posted 04/05/2013   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here is the 4 stamp strip, with 4 diff values

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1280 Posts
Posted 04/05/2013   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is also interesting to note that the bar codes (pixel types) differ from one 63c to the other one

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1280 Posts
Posted 04/05/2013   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
se delete duplicated post
Edited by Gilles le timbre - 04/05/2013 11:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
754 Posts
Posted 04/08/2013   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The difference in the two 63¢ stamps' pixeled bar code must be: Time of Sale
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1250 Posts
Posted 05/08/2013   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In reading the February 2013 Postal Prices pamphlet from Canada Post, I see that we've covered all of the possible stamps for letter mail delivered within Canada and the USA.

However, in addition to the known $1.85 (up to 30 grams) international rate for "standard letters and cards", there is also a $2.68 value (31-50 grams).
AND
There are three rates for "International - Other letter-post":
$4.36 (up to 100 grams),
$7.60 (101-200 grams),
and $15.20 (201-500 grams).

Does anyone know if the CVP machines produce the $2.68, $4.36, $7.60 and $15.20 stamps?
And, can anyone post scans of them?
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorddenning to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On January 10, 2013, I mailed covers with the Kiosk stamps at the Toronto Dominion Kiosk. I was expecting a dated (ink jet) cancellation on the front of the envelopes. None of the covers I mailed received a cancellation. This is the latest cover received:

United States

I sent a cover to "General Delivery", San Juan, Puerto Rico at the $1.05 U.S. Rate.

The cancelling machine was unable to recognize the Kiosk stamp. The stamp received an undated porelon cancellation.

There is a barely visible date on the back of the envelope :

" JA 11 M "

Not particularly exciting.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: cancelling of Kiosk (and Picture Postage(tm)) stamps:

At the ORAPEX stamp show this past weekend in Ottawa, Jim Phillips, Director, Stamp Services, Canada Post gave a presentation which included information about the kiosk machines/stamps.

He noted that kiosk and Picture Postage stamps are not programmed in their cancelling machines ... they are not intended to be cancelled.

Thus, a hand-cancelled kiosk/picture postage stamp is most likely "philatelic" in nature and a jet spray cancelled stamp would have received the cancel by mistake.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4791 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He noted that kiosk and Picture Postage stamps are not programmed in their cancelling machines

Then why are they tagged?

Quote:
they are not intended to be cancelled.

So theoretically they could be reused over and over again?
Fraudulently of course.

If they are not meant to be cancelled then I suppose
Canada Post does not think them as "stamps" but
more like meter mail.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my understanding of what happens during the sorting/cancelling process in Canada (from discussions with various Canada Post employees)...

Canada's stamps have tagging to 'face' the envelope in the MLOCR (multi-line optical character reader) machines.

'Facing' an envelope is the first step in the mechanized process of mail distribution. It orients the envelope such that the front is facing forward and the stamp is in the upper right corner. This allows the MLOCR to read the postal code and apply the necessary bar coding on the back of the envelope.

The envelope then goes to the cancelling machine where a scanner visualizes the stamp and compares the stamp to an image database of "current" Canadian postage stamps. (I don't know what is meant by 'current'; is that a couple of years or many years of stamp issues?).

The kiosk and Picture Postage(tm) stamps have not been included in the image database ... so, they do not get cancelled (similar to much older Canadian stamps), even if the stamp is tagged.

i.e. the tagging has nothing to do with the cancelling process (I was certainly under the impression that the purpose of taggant was to cancel, but apparently that is not the case).
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4791 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well thanks studystamps for that detailed explanation regarding
CP sorting process which seems to change over the years.

As far as the cancelling machine process is concerned it's obviously not working since we all know that
a large percentage of Canadian stamps on letters in the last few years either receive no cancellation whatsoever and then some receive two.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur.

I am constantly having to ask my local post office to cancel much of my incoming mail due to uncancelled stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4791 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mailed to myself one cover franked with the 61c Computer Vended Stamp as I mentioned on page 6

Quote:
Well, the letter I mailed to myself on Saturday January 12 arrived today.
No cancellation, no pink processing bar codes front or back.
Absolutely no sign that it ever went through the mail stream.

So I went to my local PO on January 17, 2003 and tried again as I stated on page 8

Quote:
I went to the Newmarket PO and was just going to dump it in the inside mail box when the lady behind the counter indicated to give it to her.

So I handed it to her and asked if she could cancel it with the counter hand stamp.
She said ok but first she put on a 2c stamp because the rates are now 63c as of January 14, 2013

As you can see it was first cancelled at the counter and subsequently by the cancelling machine process.

Therefore going by the information Mr. Phillips provided at ORAPEX as per studystamps, the PO handstamp is philatelic and the jet spray machine cancel was a mistake.

In spite of all it's shortcomings I still like the cover.
Edited by lithograving - 04/01/2020 8:49 pm
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 05/09/2013   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorddenning to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lithograving

The 2 cent stamp probably triggered the ink jet cancellation.

Studystamps

Quote:
He noted that kiosk and Picture Postage stamps are not programmed in their cancelling machines ... they are not intended to be cancelled.

This may explain why all my Kiosk stamp covers were rejected by the automated system and the kiosk stamps obliterated by hand. One stamp was marked with a ball point , the other two received porelon roller markings. SInce the covers were rejected, there was a delay in their transmission.

I mailed my covers on January 10. Perhaps the machines have been programmed since then not to reject envelopes with kiosk stamps.

Official First Day Covers

Are these sold out?

Edited by lorddenning - 05/09/2013 10:39 pm
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 05/10/2013   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I need to clarify my previous post...

Jim Phillips did not say that a hand cancel is "philatelic" and a cancelled kiosk/Picture Postage(tm) stamp is a "mistake" - those are my comments.

I would suggest that virtually any hand cancelled kiosk or Picture Postage stamp must surely be "philatelic" as only a stamp collector would have asked for such a service.

And, based on Jim's comments that kiosk and Picture Postage stamps are not included in the cancelling image database, a cancelled specimen is most likely a "mistake".

I am the first to admit that I regularly ask for all of my outgoing mail to be hand cancelled. Why? To ensure the stamp(s) are cancelled nicely for the recipient.

When the ink jet cancels started to appear (my memory fails as to when that was), I was also the first to complain. I, like many others at the time, preferred the steel hammer round cancels and/or the slogan cancels. With that said, today I would much rather prefer a jet-sprayed kiosk or Picture Postage stamp than an uncancelled example.
Page: of 20 Previous TopicReplies: 292 / Views: 42,550Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05