Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare World War 1 Interior Postcards  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
294 Posts
Posted 01/15/2013   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add UFOAirMail to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,it's been a while since I have posted,but I am back with a vengence once again and still on my treasure hunts!
These I think are some very unique World War 1 beautys..my scanner is taking a carp on me though so I will need to get better pics,new scanner soon!
What do you guys think about these?These are historic in more than one way,they are artistic photographic history as well
Many cards appear to be hand tinted
Last card is very interesting,can anyone tell me about the last card and perhaps the others I have here as well?
The First card reads censored on top..alot of interesting tidbits on these I have never seen before and on a internet search,none of these came up
*If you dont see the otherside of card its just a blank with no writing nor a stamp,ect..*
Enjoy! My favorite is Trench Practice!

Send note to Staff
Edited by UFOAirMail - 01/15/2013 8:06 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/15/2013   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cards. APO 794 was Perigeux, France amd APO 762 was the 83rd Division.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/15/2013   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the postmarks of some of those postcards, here's an interesting history of Camp Upton in Yaphank, Long Island, NY during World War I:

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/history/camp_upton1.asp

It is rather curious that the post office used Brooklyn, NY as a machine postmark that far out on Long Island, but they did. Here's some postal history information on the machine cancels for that location:

Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
Posted 01/15/2013   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAirMail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is very interesting indeed russ & wt.you guys always supply the great stuff like that! LOVE IT!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1661 Posts
Posted 01/16/2013   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your last card is similar to the British issue to troops in that it is a standardised format for censorship purposes as well as being informational for family or friends etc.

Your card is dated 1919 so might be worthwhile researching the late use reasons. Bear in mind that US forces were still fighting in Russia at that time so it could have some strategic purpose. Whatever, all your cards are collectible not only by philatelists but postcard collectors and they are the sort of thing that Army historians, museums and the E.F.Companies involved would desire.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 01/16/2013   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow incredible looking stuff! That link has made me one happy man this morning! The next page discusses one Irving Berlin who wrote (or maybe just performed?) a song called "Oh, How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning." {From my memory} -how I'd like to spend the rest of my life in bed! Oh I'd like to get that dirty pup; the one who wakes the Bugler up, You gotta get up, You gotta get up, Ya gotta get up in the morning! My Great Grandmother raised me up and used to sing this in the morning to us kids to get us up for school and such- I still sing this to my own Daughter about every morning still! I had NO IDEA where this song came from but it makes total sense to me now! Her Brother Percy Willits would have been there as he was in the service during WWI. He was from S.Avis Pennsylvania so that makes sense to me that that's where he would have went. Thank you for this thread. -Jeff

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/history/camp_upton2.asp
Among the members of the 77th was one individual who was already famous, and whose fame would grow after the war. This was Sergeant Irving Berlin. While at Upton, Berlin wrote "Yip, Yip Yaphank," a military musical based on his life at the camp. The show was produced on Broadway, with Berlin's fellow soldiers filling the cast. From this show came one of Berlin's most famous songs, "Oh, How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning."
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/16/2013   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who want the lyrics (and audio) to "Oh How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning" checkout this link:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/...emorning.htm
Edited by wt1 - 01/16/2013 10:20 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 01/16/2013   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! That brings back some happy memories!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/19/2013   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zipper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking postcards. I love the muted colors from that period.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/20/2013   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While this may not have such an interesting background as Camp Upton, the second card scanned here has a postmark identified as Atlanta, Georgia, Gordon Branch. Here's information on that postmark from Camp Gordon:

Valued Member
8 Posts
Posted 01/21/2013   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darktower to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice little collection.
How will you store or present them? Do you have a dedicated folder for cards, or use a stockbook?
Imagine going into battle without a helmet on?!
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 01/27/2013   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a fantastic Collection of WW1 Postcard. They are in terrific shape. Hope you keep them and thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
Posted 02/05/2013   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UFOAirMail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so very much for the info! I would really like to sell these cards and if anyone is interested please email me at seafooddave@aol.com I just have way too much stuff here and really they all need to be in good hands to insure they make it through time for future generations to come.I have many more to post yet as well and will try to post up by this evening
Edited by UFOAirMail - 02/05/2013 2:12 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/05/2014   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UFOAIRMAIL did you ever sell these?
Learn More...
5197 Posts
Posted 05/05/2014   09:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And speaking of Camp Gordon in Atlanta… here are two postcards that I had stuck in a box. I love the technology shown in use at that time.
don

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Mt Fuji substation & postmark
  Looking for sources of info to help id all Great American types/varieties
  Looking for Precancel Bureau Mail Early Blks with Bar&City
  US #518b 1917 Franklin 1 dollar
  NOVAPEX 2018 - Dartmouth Nova Scotia , Canada -September 14 -16
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  The elusive "propriwtary" revenue stamp variety
  Old checks with stamps
  The most misleading auction lot description of all time? (Narcotic stamps)
  Does anyone know what Scott# this is
  Scott 25ii - This could be "Bothwell paper"
  Frank Geiger - still in Business?
  Another great offering for everyone's funny bone!
  AIRPEX 2018 August 24 and 25 FRI. Noon-6, SAT. 10-4
  Use of c or ˘ Abbreviation for Classic Stamp Descriptions
  The importance of understanding a catalog listing
  Are these USA precanceled stamps?
  Catalogue listings not showing values.
  Indo China overprinted with Viet Nam - Dan Chu Cong HOA - North Vietnam?
  WW2 covers censored in Canada AND USA ?
  Help needed in identifying stamp on Malta 1988 money order
  Getting back into the hobby
  Help identifying stamp and value
  Canada new $4 definitive press sheet
  Glazed paper vs unglazed

Scott 25ii - This could be "Bothwell paper"
  The elusive "propriwtary" revenue stamp variety
  Stamps with no country
  BAAAA! BAAAA!
  Glazed paper vs unglazed
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  The Art of Magic Lenticular Printing
  Looking for Precancel Bureau Mail Early Blks with Bar&City
  AIRPEX 2018 August 24 and 25 FRI. Noon-6, SAT. 10-4
  Another great offering for everyone's funny bone!
  US Stamp Give-Away (August 2018, #1)
  Mt Fuji substation & postmark
  Looking for sources of info to help id all Great American types/varieties
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  New, Free, US Stamp Album Pages
  The importance of understanding a catalog listing
  Italy Stamp Engravers
  German Perfin Catalog
  Stamps from a Recent Great Britain Purchase
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  Trains on Stamps
  Are these USA precanceled stamps?
  Columbian cover or postal stationary
  US #518b 1917 Franklin 1 dollar

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05