Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Modern Pocon Postmarks / Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 262 / Views: 60,914Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 08/15/2014   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I trust this is interesting to the followers of this topic.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4606 Posts
Posted 08/17/2014   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice clear cancellation

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
Posted 08/17/2014   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have collated all the POCON's that I have seen and have them listed here:

http://www.stamporator.com/POCON.html

If you have any others then please post them in this thread and I will update this web based list.

- stamporator -
Valued Member
Canada
294 Posts
Posted 08/17/2014   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Major1044 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamporator

Great work!
Edited by Major1044 - 08/17/2014 6:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 08/17/2014   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May I ask? Is someone collecting all these physically, or only electronically?
Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
Posted 08/17/2014   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sak,

It is a combination of both physical and electronic. All the ones that have physically crossed my desk have been scanned and I still have, although I am not collecting them, and welcome either selling them or trading them for items that I do collect. The list also includes scans from this thread and others that have been emailed to be.

Over time, this web list could extend to include thousands and different varieties from the same post office. It is there for anyone to use and reference.

- stamporator -
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/19/2014   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
May I ask? Is someone collecting all these physically, or only electronically?

I collect mine physically and I think most people do.

Just having a list online, freely available, albeit slow to update (sorry), is a wonder. I started it as a free resource to people like me who just wanted to know what their cancel on their stamps was, if only part of it showed.

Didn't realize that Canada had over 6500 Post Offices, just didn't think about it, and then all the variations possible of colours, shapes, sizes, names, dates, and of course, the stamps themselves that go with the postmarks, each making the other more valuble and worthy of notice.

It makes for a fun hunt through kiloware and lots and assortments. Envelopes and covers interst me now. The northern Post Offices call out, the James Bay amd Labrador and Newfoundland PostOffices are now looked for and admired for their history and stamps now.

And all that stuff.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   02:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One I knew existed from seeing it years ago, but had never seen until recently.

Showing two in the same photo, one in black and the other in red, partial cancels Only, completion confirmation help requested.

Suggested data listing:
Black Circle Framed 55mm
Line 1 Text Arc, 'CHIRCHILL, MANITOBA, POLAR BEAR CAPITAL OF THE WORLD'
Line 2 Graphic, Northern Star or Compass, 10 x 10mm
Line 3 Text POCON, 512920
Line 4 Graphic, Top of Polar Bear facing right, 41 x 24mm
Line 5 Text Date, ~~~ ~~ 1996
Line 6 Graphic, Bottom of Polar Bear facing right
Line 7 Missing, (Text Arc postal code possible?)

Otherwise known as:
Churchill, MB, ~~~ ~~~[/b] (postal code missing)
~~~ ~~ 1996 (partial date showing)
POCON 512920
Circle Framed 55mm O.D.
Colour Black, and another partial one beside it Red.

Stamps shown are two from 1995 'The Arctic' 45c issue, Dog Slad Team and Ski Plane and then Polar Bear and Caribou.

. . . and a 1995 Fruit Trees issue, a 90c Elberta Peach Tree and Blossum stamp, which I have to check for perfs.
Edited by Puzzler - 02/22/2015 03:23 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   03:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could we change the name of the cancel to POCN = Post Office Computer Number (Cancel) to help with possible French mistranslations and possible English hyphenated translations?

Old POCON now to new POCN, or . . .

. . . another suggestion is to use the actual name of the company(ies) manufacturing the cancelling device(s) themselves. I believe the modern ones (circular) are made by COLOP.

Not sure of the older square or rectangular or oval ones (see Regina one below).

edit: On second thought, saying POCON out loud here (no one was listening) the word doesn't sound to me all that awful, and it has been in use successfully for quite a while.

So POCON is good.
Edited by Puzzler - 02/22/2015 11:40 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice new oval one from Regina. I have some other large animal blocks with this on also.

This is the way to cancel a stamp for cancel and postmark collectors, a touch of the cancel on the stamp itself, allowing the design to be seen, devaluing the stamp effectively, and then the remainder of the showy cancel on the envelope.

Regina, SK, S4P 0B5
2006 -02- 22 . . (FEB 22 2006 shown)
Black Oval Framed 60 x 33mm

New phrase to me, Servies de Guichet, otherwise Counter Services.
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 02/22/2015   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Poke on, Dude!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5125 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puzzler here is one for you.

Edgewood BC V0G 1J0

2013-12-17

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5125 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On this one from Falmouth, Nova Scotia
I can't make out all of the POCON

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 04/13/2015   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho,
Nice Calgary stamp. I haven't seen one up close yet. Thanks for the nice postmark pic from Edgewood.

Falmouth, NS needs confirmation of course, a show of another one, or two, or three, or . . . but, Canada Post says POCON is 104603 at
AVON VALLEY VARIETY
129 FALMOUTH RD
FALMOUTH NS B0P 1L0

I should pop up on the old highway and snap a pic or two maybe. Hmmm. Used to go that way but time moves on.
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 05/06/2015   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just got this one from a dealer in NS.
Apparently the stamps are worth 21 each.

Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 262 / Views: 60,914Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05