Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Every Single US President Had Their Own Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,680Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Spain
46 Posts
Posted 01/24/2013   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JackBrown to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I just have a little question.

I was wondering, if every single US president ever has had their own stamp. By this I mean, if they have all had an official stamp dedicated to them, kind of like the queen of England has her own official one with her head on it.

Thanks.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/24/2013   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every deceased US President has had a stamp (in some cases several stamps) issued in their honor. Since the US Postal Service does not allow living people to be depicted on stamps, the general expectation is that when a former US President dies, a "memorial" stamp is typically issued in his honor within the next 12 months.

Here's the stamp criteria used by the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee. The last two sentences of Paragraph #3 references the depiction of US Presidents on stamps:

http://www.beyondtheperf.com/stamp-...ect-criteria

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 01/24/2013   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All US Presidents (except those still living) have been honored on US postage stamps.

Those still living include: Jimmy Carter, George Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama.

However, other countries have issued stamps in their honor.
Valued Member
Spain
46 Posts
Posted 01/25/2013   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JackBrown to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting, I would have never thought it was not allowed to depict living people to be depicted.

So, are all those stamps on eBay and other places with Obama on them all fake or from another country?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 01/25/2013   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For valid US postage, personalized stamps do not have that restriction (e.g., Zazzle stamps).

But in general, what you said is correct. Most of the stamps you see of Obama out there are either issued by other countries or are cinderellas (i.e., not postage stamps).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 01/25/2013   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

I think you mis-read the comments. Other countries (not U.S.) have issued Obama stamps - those are probably real.

Current U.S. law prevents depiction of living people on U.S. stamps.

Hal

P.S. I forgot about Zazzle.com but they are not the U.S. Post Office. Only the U.S. Post Office is restricted from issuing. But that may change. The Post Office needs money.
Edited by Hal - 01/25/2013 12:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 01/26/2013   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
THe 1938 Presidential series of definitives have all the US presidents up to that time except for Hoover and FDR.

I have been racking my brain and can't think of a non-definitive stamp of Franklin Pierce or Millard Filmore (maybe van Buren and Arthur too) . Can anyone fill in my blank mind?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/26/2013   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you may have forgotten about Ameripex '86 and the set of four souvenir sheets (with 9 stamps each) of all deceased US Presidents (Scott 2216-2219). There were 35 US Presidents and the White House depicted on that issue. They were technically commemorative stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33586 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: Bumped Thread.

Martin Van Buren. (The origin of the most ever used English expression, on the planet ....... "OK" )

Edited by rod222 - 08/22/2018 01:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Van Buren's campaign popularized it, but it wasn't original with him.

President Wilson, egghead in chief, spelled it "okeh" thinking it derived from Choctaw. I never knew of that spelling until recently, when I saw it in Reuben Fleet's "Fifty Years of Airmail." But now it makes sense since Wilson was President at the time Fleet was writing about.

https://www.history.com/news/the-bi...75-years-ago

Basil
Edited by blcjr - 08/22/2018 06:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as USA stamps go, only deceased presidents have been depicted. I read somewhere that the decision to exclude living presidents came from FDR who did not want Hoover depicted. Hoover was the only living ex-president at the time the "Prexies" were issued.

I believe this story because FDR was an active participant in the stamp production process.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget that all the presidents through LBJ were honored on the 1986 souvenir sheets as well, issued by the USPS. That includes the aforementioned lesser Presidents.
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link in the second post of this thread is now dead.

Current link to US criteria for stamp subject selection:

http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/csac/criteria.htm

For Presidents, memorial stamps are issued within a year of their death. Everyone else has to wait three years. This is as of 2018. Between 2014 there was no effective waiting period policy and several stamps were issued for people dead less than three years, or in Maya Angelou's case, less than a year after her death.

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For Presidents, memorial stamps are issued within a year of their death.

Usually on the first birthday anniversary after their death.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive the nave question, but since I don't follow modern US stamp issues...Has there ever been a definitive issued with President Nixon on it? If not, I'm guessing he was included in this 1980's commemorative set.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   1:10 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, Nixon was still alive when the 1986 set was issued. He had his commemorative issue later in the 1990's. No definitive stamp issued with him to this date.
Edited by Battlestamps - 08/22/2018 1:11 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,680Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05