Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Problems Of Using Revenue Stamps In China Inflation Time

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 5,733Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
Posted 01/30/2013   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add fotofila to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The use of revenue stamps used to be the way the government collected taxes. The inflationary rate was going so fast in China after WWII that the existing revenue stamps could not keep up with the pace. This is a 1949 (near the end of the Kuomingtong control in Shanghai) receipt on 26 drums of 400 pounds each of caustic soda at a total cost of US$824.32. Note that the US dollars were used to bypass the inflation. On the back of the receipt, revenue stamps were placed overlapping in strips. Interesting! You asked how many stamps? I did not count and I don't want to count.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Hong Kong
77 Posts
Posted 01/31/2013   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 168Bagua to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Woah Nice! How did you manage to get this? Looks very interesting.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/31/2013   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
fotofila strikes again
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
Posted 01/31/2013   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fotofila to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi 168Bagua, I actually found these in China, some close to where you live in Guangzhou. Here is another example where the large blocks of revenue stamps were neatly folded and pasted to a very small receipt of RMB 50,297,000 Yuan. Note how the stamps were folded with partial exposure of each stamp so the they are countable.
Mr. Philb: I am trying hard to keep up with you.

Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
Posted 01/31/2013   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fotofila to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Baqua: Do you like this mural of art?

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/31/2013   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing stuff we get here on the forum..i learn even at my ancient age !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 5,733Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05