Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Local Bank Check W/ Revenue Stamp & Manuscript Cancel

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 9,198Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted this in the BOB thread but I hadn't realized that there was a section dedicated to these. My apologies! So, here it is once again!

Here is a Bank Check with attached Revenue from my Hometown of Jersey Shore, Pa.

May I please have an I.D. for the attached revenue stamp?
(This is the sellers image)

Jersey Shore Pa. Bank Check 1873
Front:

Back:
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a R135 2c Orange and Black cv .40
if the orange is actually vermillion then a cv of 800.00.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll scan it properly whence I receive it plus I have both the wonder color gauge and the Stanly Gibbons color chips- PLUS scott #138 & #160 etc....so I'll much better be able to tell the color for sure then. Thank you for the info Daryl! I'm totally in love with this regardless of value as it's a link to my town's past and I even know some of those folks relatives to this day. (It's a very small community).

EDITED for grammatical errors...
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 02/02/2013 4:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All you asked for was the cv of the stamp, you didn't ask my opinion..

I think it is absolutely gorgeous and would love it in my collection.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why thank you for the compliment!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7377 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp is an oxidized orange, so the color comparisons won't work correctly. That's why the bottom is darker than the top.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you revcollector. monetary value certainly wasn't the goal here. It is just a fascinating part of my towns history and it's stamp/document related! I collect cancels & post cards from Jersey Shore Pa. as that's where my fondest memories were as a child. It just makes me smile and that is "payment" enough for me.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/02/2013   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a rather interesting drawing of the banking house Gambles, Humes and White of Jersey Shore, PA:

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is the Municipal Water Authority Building in Jersey Shore. Pa.

Here is MY nice scan of the front. I had a devil of a time getting it into this page and have decided to not remove it to scan the back. It's just the same as above but more clear.

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What to do...

...when the President of your bank is named "Gamble"?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that's like a having a law firm named. "Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7377 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You've been watching the Three Stooges again. :-)
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He also owned a large portion of town too! A HUGE hotel, now gone due to a fire on December 9th, 1917 burned most of the second block of Main Street during a blizzard with temperatures near zero. Some 15 businesses and houses and 5 barns burned before the fire was "under control". The fire caused 32 families to lose their homes. The picture shows the remains of the Gamble hotel from the rear at Smith Street. Lights and telephones were out, leather fire hoses frozen, with hundreds of spectators and "fire" thieves at work sadly.

This is an image from a History of Jersey Shore book of the burned out Gamble Hotel:

The new Gamble hotel was opened for business on April 1st, 1877. It was built by a Joseph Gaus and run by his younger brother Andrew. Being close to the river made it popular with the raftsman (loggers on their arks) who came in to eat and drink but would return to their arks for sleeping. In 1913, the hotel was was under the proprietorship of the Jaffe brothers. Rates were $1.50 to $2.50 a day with rooms heated with steam and complete with electric lights, bells and private baths.

This is the Gamble Hotel. A Post Card from my collection:

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 02/09/2013 10:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You've been watching the Three Stooges again. :-)

Yes, and I listen to "Car Talk" on the radio.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh good greif...really? Reducing this to a three stooges thread? Oh well..
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/09/2013   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally likes Abbot and Costello - Who's on first.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 9,198Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05