Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gruesome Postcard

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,981Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is another postcard, again sent from Bavaria. There seems to be a sarcastic twist to this one because there are human bones, a lion and what appears to be a Pterodactyl (sp) flying off with a human in it's large beak. Nice card nonetheless but it sure is an odd topic.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff
Edited by Bujutsu - 02/06/2013 3:18 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
593 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting .. though, I think that is simply the Pteradactyl's LARGE head .. nothing in its beak .. perhaps it is meant to be a giant modern bird - like a crow or vulture?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought maybe the sign on the postcard would give a clue about this. Using an online translator, the sign reads, "Greetings from the Bohemian Forest." Pretty funny, actually.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   1:04 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's also interesting that there is a little Star of David sign hanging out in front of the building.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's also interesting that there is a little Star of David sign hanging out in front of the building.

I hadn't noticed that. Now the lion and human bones take on a more sinister meaning.

I wonder what the sender wrote on the card? Can anyone read it?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2277 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arn't those the flying monkeys from wizard of OZ??
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping that someone could translate the message,

I too did not notice the Star of David.

A lot of unseen messages in this illustration I would imagine

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Arn't those the flying monkeys from wizard of OZ??

That's funny. More observations to add to the mystery: a smiling two tailed lion; castle (ruins?); sun going down with the people returning to their house.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5109 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about the lion or the crows or the star of david
but Dreisessel translates as "Three Chairs"
which is a rock formation in the Bavarian Forest that I guess from the distance looks like the ruins of a castle.

Quote:

The Dreisessel Mountain (1,312 meters) is one of the most distinctive mountains of the Bavarian Forest. Due to the peculiar rock formations, which resemble the forms of three chairs, it carries the name "Dreisessel". According to a legend, also of which Adalbert Stifter told in his novel "Hochwald", the kings of Bavaria, Bohemia and Austria gathered on the summit "Dreisesselberg" in order to negotiate the limits of their territories.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HI to all

The so called Star of David is nothing more than a church bell.
I have often seen small bells placed like this on the outside of churches.
If you wanted to "see things" you could even say the mushrooms are actually crosses with Military Helmets placed on them.
It is all a matter of interpretation. 1000 people could look at the same item and see 1000 different interpretations.
To me it is just a humorous postcard.
Regards
Horamakhet
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5109 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Star of David or hexagram was also called 'Bierstern' (beer star)

See below the article about beer and brewing.

http://www.brewingmuseum.org/articl...brewers-star

Therefore what you see hanging at that Gasthouse (Inn or restaurant)in
the distance on the card is a sign that they sell beer there.

Nothing really sinister on this card.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those birds are crows or ravens.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 02/06/2013   7:26 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So basically the sun is settling so it's time to go to the inn and get drunk :)

Oh yea...the two tailed lion is on the Coat of Arms for....*drum roll* Kingdom of Bohemia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Bohemia

A little bit of the historical past within the postcard as well.
Edited by Battlestamps - 02/06/2013 7:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 02/11/2013   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So those four little men, that look like hikers, are probably singing, in German,

Hi Ho, Hi Ho,
It's off to drink we go.
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/11/2013   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, could be

After examining the birds closer, I can see where they could be crows and not a giant prehistoric creature. When I saw the human bones, the lion etc., I guess I jumped to concusions, which happens every now and then

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,981Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05