Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yokohama Specie Bank Check

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 6,842Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was in an old cigar box along with a whole slew of loose stamps and covers. Anyone have any insight? Why is the denomination in pesos?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
India
186 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mindpsyche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Philippines was under Spanish occupation for a good 300 years right up to about 1898. So that would probably explain why their currency is Pesos.

It looks to be a Cheque issued anytime after 1900 as you can see on the top right corner.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
India
186 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mindpsyche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Upon further investigation based on this article

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/op...art-i-224944

The cheque was had to be issued after 1918 as the Bank was set up in 1918.
United States
24 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philippines, eh? This was with it. I was just looking it up and read that the little hole is a cancellation, and was supposed to be canceled with whatever it was attached to. The check has the same hole. But this confuses me, as the check has nothing on it, so why would they be canceled together?

Valued Member
India
186 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mindpsyche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even today, in many official transactions, a blank cheque is required which although has nothing on it is used a form of certification.

For example, when I quit my last job in India and I applied for my Pension Fund (Whatever little I had off it - I'm only 31 years old), I had to furnish a blank cheque for the department to have a record of my bank account.
Valued Member
India
186 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mindpsyche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In order to get to 50 posts , so I can buy stuff from the auctions held here...

The cheques naturally have to be cancelled as you pointed out or someone could forge signatures and use them, hence why the cheque too is cancelled.
United States
24 Posts
Posted 02/10/2013   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense. The cancellation would be the equivalent of writing "VOID" on a blank check today?

From http://www.theipps.info/bibliography/WarrenAPS.pdf pages 402 & 505, the Internal Revenue stamp is 1934-1937. The 2c olive green is designated W-746 in there, is that a Scott number?
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 6,842Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05