Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Csa Forgeries And Facsimiles - An Appreciation

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 26,227Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 04/02/2013   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Patricia is one of the leading experts in the CSA field.. Some say she is the best there is.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/02/2013   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff, I'd love to read that American Philatelist article if you can post it. I've seen these Global Phantoms a lot on eBay, they're at times more abundant than the real thing. But if they have an interesting history, I'm interested. Knowledge is power, right?
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/03/2013   02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK James I'll dig it out in a little bit.
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/03/2013 04:17 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/03/2013   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I managed to find it although it's 4:06 in the morning! lol Anyhow it's in the January 2011 "Lunar New Year" edition on page 26-30 I don't believe I can scan it or anything as it may be protected by license but I could send it along and let you read it or you could pick it up at the library or maybe it's online somewhere? I'll look - WELL I'LL BE DARNED ~ I FOUND IT!
Confederate Forgeries Can Be Fun & Challenging - http://stamps.org/userfiles/file/AP...ting0111.pdf

Although unrelated to confederate forgeries, I found this a fascinating read as well!
The U.S. Civil War in Contemporary Illustrated Material - http://stamps.org/userfiles/file/AP...re_04_12.pdf
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/03/2013 04:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/03/2013   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff, thanks for posting those articles. Turns out I have read the first one before, and have even posted it on other threads, but I does make a great addition to this one.
And I thoroughly enjoyed the other article as well. The more info the merrier!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/04/2013   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I wasn't sure if you was aware of it or not. Just trying to help a little. I havent got that in the mail yet but when it shows up I'll scan it nice for you then pop it in my mailbox headed your way OK?
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey James...I just picked these up for a pittance!(like $3.50 shipped!)
Anything good here? I just liked how they looked. Sort of an impulse buy! ha-ha!

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/29/2013 07:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning Jeff.
I'm at work so cant really chat about these, but they look interesting. The 10 Davis singles are all altered plates (long story, I think there may be another thread about them). That group of 6 looks the most interesting, I think. Definitely a forgery I recognize. Check that article you sent about forgeries, I think you may find an image of that one there.
The groups of 3s may be Springfields, but again, only spitballing here.
That old revenue you'll probably find in the back of your Scott's Specialized. Nice purchase.
Edited by jamesw - 04/29/2013 09:10 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you James, I will look!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
United States Internal Revenue, 6
Scott #RS213

http://www.rdhinstl.com/mm/rs212.htm

My scan:

Catalog image:

Isolated sellers image:
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 08/18/2013 11:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff your sheet of 6 Jefferson's (Thomas, not Davis) appears to be a Samual Upham forgery, or reproductions of one. The colour seems off, but then that image doesn't look reliable colour wise anyway.
See this website, second row, second from left.

http://home.comcast.net/~kr.baker/c...s/fakes2.htm
Valued Member
69 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sheet of 6 is a modern reprint from an original Upham plate. The Altered Plate stamps in red and brown(poor printing)were printed by the Tatham Stamp & Coin Company from new dies. The other 5 Altered Plate stamps were made by George Linn of Ohio from a printing plate that contained two panes of 25 stamps. This plate was made by Linn in the 1920s. The groups of 3s look like Springfields facsimiles as Jamesw noted.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/30/2013   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you two! I knew they was forgeries and fakes when I got them. When I get these in hand, like usual, I'll scan the more interesting ones.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/05/2013   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just woke up a little bit ago but thought I'd start the day with the Confederate forgery thread.

Here are my scans for your viewing pleasure!

Let's see if I got this right or not shall we?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The singles:

The 10 Davis singles are all "altered plates"

The strips:

Springfield fakes were created by H. E. MacIntosh, owner of the Tatham Stamp and Coin Co. to be used in his Tasco booklet. The booklet gave a history of the Confederate postal service, and the stamps were created to supplement the text. But MacIntosh's images were not taken from the original stamps, but from images published by Confederate expert August Dietz. The images were used without permission, and eventually Dietz confronted MacIntosh and informed him of his copyright infringement. The Tasco stamps were then marked on the back with the word 'Facsimile' and later still numbered, to avoid a lawsuit.
These stamps were printed in full sheets of 25. The booklet containing singles sold originally for 35.

The block:

This sheet of 6 is a modern reprint from an original Upham plate.

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 05/06/2013 05:19 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/05/2013   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I noticed that these two are quite a bit different than the others? I'll hazard an educated guess here- A different forger perhaps? Anyone know what these are? Thank you.

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 05/05/2013 12:08 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 26,227Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05