Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Csa Forgeries And Facsimiles - An Appreciation

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 26,915Next Topic
Page: of 4
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/05/2013   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I can tell they are NOT the "Sperati TEN's" or "Springfield reproductions" so I'm at a loss here. Anyone wat to take a stab at it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 05/05/2013 12:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 05/05/2013   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are what are called Altered Plates. The original 5 stamp and a 1 picturing John C. Calhoun (#6,7 and 14, which was never issued) were designed and printed by De La Rue in London in 1862. By the next year it was necessary to raise the postal rate, so the Confederate Posties asked De La Rue to come up with a new set. As time was of the essence, it was decided to simply alter the plates (hence the name) from 1 to 2 and 5 to 10 respectively.
The plates were sent back to Richmond but were never used. Could be delivery was too slow (no Fedex). I have read a story where Mrs Davis disapproved of the portrait on these stamps because she though it made her husband look too much like that Lincoln guy. I've read of rumours during the war that Lincoln and Davis were actually related, simply because there was a slight physical resemblance.
So other stamps were designed (CSA#8 and #9) and the altered plates were filed away.
The aforementioned August Dietz, the Father of Confederate Stamp collecting, reportedly found the 2 plate in the 1920s and produced a nice emerald green stamp.
I've got one in my collection...

Other printings, of both stamps in various colours occurred during the 20th century. There's an image of a sheet of 9 of the Davis on the Confederate Forgery article you posted a link to, which were printed in 1918. I think some others were printed in the 1950s for a philatelic exhibition.
The quality of these printings varied widely which would account for the last two you posted. I've got a couple with some major ink hickeys. Lack of quality control.

So there you go. Worthless, really, but I think they are full of history, and kind of fun to add to a CSA collection.
Edited by jamesw - 05/05/2013 3:27 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/06/2013   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! So they just look different because of lack of quality control. So they are from the altered plates. Thank you AGAIN James..lol

(I feel sort of stupid now..like usual )
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 05/06/2013 05:26 am
Valued Member
69 Posts
Posted 05/07/2013   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Altered Plate stamps in red and brown (poor printing) were printed by the Tatham Stamp & Coin Company from new plates, not form the original.

Attached is a packet of them:

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/28/2013   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ROD222! Here- Since we was discussing these stamps earlier this morning (for me)via email I thought I'd just dig James' super informative post out for you!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 12/29/2013   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread deserves a bump. These have been popping up a lot more than usual lately as well as the fantasy issues of the Confederate local post stamps.
Valued Member
Denmark
437 Posts
Posted 01/12/2014   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have posted the Album Weeds article for CSA describing the classic forgeries:

http://stampforgeries.com/album-wee...-of-america/

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 10/09/2014   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great thread for a novice like me. I figured there were lots of forgeries out there but many of these really scare me. I would have bought many as originals. Guess I will need to find a reputable dealer to buy from in order to prevent getting stuck.
Edited by IndianGoldEagle - 10/10/2014 11:33 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 10/09/2014   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just get a few good a reference books on the subject (and specialty websites on CSA stamps) and ask a lot of questions!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/11/2016   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Need to revisit this thread. Always happy to admit I'm wrong, and I discovered tonight, I've mis-identified a couple of the forgeries on this thread.

According to this page on Trish Kaufmann's website, a couple of stamps I labeled on page 1 of this thread as attributed to Samuel Upham and S. Allan Taylor actually came from an 1894 Scott's catalogue. Those would be the 2 Andrew Jackson, 10 Jefferson Davis and the 1 John C. Calhoun.

Better late than never!

http://www.trishkaufmann.com/images...cott.jpg.jpg
Edited by jamesw - 08/11/2016 11:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 09/17/2016   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aurora to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just found in one of the many little envelopes ))... reading your really informative discussion.
Thank you!

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36819 Posts
Posted 09/17/2016   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Mr. Michael B Grossi.

Valued Member
235 Posts
Posted 07/03/2017   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i recently located in my old US collection.A stamp similar to Aurora's posting of last year.The Springfield letters on the revese ALSO in the color white..see images..

Edited by edw_kim - 07/03/2017 4:00 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36819 Posts
Posted 08/22/2017   06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

$20 Bank Note : Facsimile.

Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 08/22/2017   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, do you realize you bumped a 2013 post?

Proper etiquette: Bumping older thread!

How can you tell your $20.00 is a facsimile? Give us all what to look for.

Stampmaster
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 26,915Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05