Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Taking Stock Of Things...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 6,088Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5128 Posts
Posted 02/16/2013   01:14 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lately I've become enamored with stock certificates, as they make a wonderful document canvas for revenue stamp usage. While it would be easy to go crazy with these, I've decided to limit myself strictly to revenue-stamped examples from the Civil War tax era (1862-1872 for the most part).

Spending time on various scripophily websites, I find it interesting that by and large, stock certificate dealers and collectors consider the revenue stamps and cancels on the stock certificates to be irrelevant. It's usually only the stock certificate itself and/or who signed it that matters.

I've put together a page on my website that shows all of the stock certificates I have, and for this page I'm using much larger thumbnails than everywhere else on the site, so you can actually see some of the certificate details without having to load each individual one.

These certs can get pretty darned pricey in a big fat hurry, so my collection is fairly small at the moment, but a few of the certs I have are fairly scarce.

http://www.revenue-collector.com/st...icates.shtml
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Hong Kong
77 Posts
Posted 02/16/2013   02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 168Bagua to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are these for sale or for display? Stock certificates look almost like those old gold/silver certificate banknotes.. :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5128 Posts
Posted 02/16/2013   2:03 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing on my site is for sale; it's all part of my collection.
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 02/16/2013   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

A great collection. I noticed that none have the RN series, no interest? I also noticed that we have a couple of the same certs. I had the Little Miami RR cert, I sent it to a young collector friend in Sidney, OH. The Little Miami river runs through/by that little town and he often fishes on it. He has it framed & hanging on his wall.

Art
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7339 Posts
Posted 02/16/2013   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan, it may be a small collection, but to me it is pretty impressive! I like the stock certificates, but the stamps are beautiful. Wished we would still issue some of those engraved beauties!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5128 Posts
Posted 02/17/2013   1:14 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A great collection. I noticed that none have the RN series, no interest?

I have to draw boundaries somewhere... there's far too much in the area of U.S. revenues to try and collect it all.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/17/2013   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow rev you have great taste! What wonderful items!
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 02/19/2013   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dmilkman207 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff, I have always been fascinated with stock certificates. I have owned a lot of stock in my online brokerage account over the years but never had a cert. My broker would send me one for a $25 fee, I thought about it, but holding stock in book entry form has its advantages. And the certs. they would send me would be nowhere near as nice as the old ones you have Dan. And they certainly would not have Rev. stamps affixed to them. So I guess I stick to just bland numbers on a computer screen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 02/19/2013   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are beautiful. Much nicer than the generic GOES 725 forms we use at the law firm here.
Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 02/08/2014   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!

Fitchburg & Worcester Railroad Co.
(from yours Stock Certificates and Bond collection)

This gorgeous engraving called "The Depot" was engraved by James David Smillie (son of James Smillie)
It's also found in some old banknotes
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5128 Posts
Posted 02/08/2014   11:26 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've recently acquired another 20 or so revenue stamped stocks and bonds that I need to add to the site. All sorts of fun! :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 6,088Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05