Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shipping Or Martial Arts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,082Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I just received this card tonight. I won it in an auction online. I was thinking of putting it in one of my ship albums but not so sure once I have it in my hands. I am now wondering if I should put it in my martial arts album. I am leaning towards the latter idea.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
4729 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ship? What ship?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
India
186 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mindpsyche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirk, I believe the Toyo Kisen Kaisha is an oriental steampship that ran in the early 1900's.

http://www.timetableimages.com/mari...ges/toyo.htm

See the small life tube ( I think that's what its called) with the name of the ship.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say shipping, bujutsu. I think the gentleman is practicing his calligraphy, not gutting his enemy with the brush. But that's just a guess, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the gender of the assistant. Do you have an album "marital arts"?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the life tube is from a shipping company which did have quite a fleet. However, the man is dressed in samurai clothing and his katana and wakazashi (or tanto) can be seen. This is what is giving me the dilemna.

Yes Doug2222 - I have albums for both WW Ships and Stamps & Postcards of the Martial Arts. In fact, the ship albums also include the "Paquebot" covers I have posted in here as well.

Oh the pain, the pain.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 02/21/2013 9:35 pm
Valued Member
India
186 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mindpsyche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another way of looking at it.

Samurais are soldiers and I don't believe there is a specific martial art associated with them such as Karate, Taekwondo or Kung-fu. I could be wrong here. They are better know for their Swords though.

So you can either make it simple, by putting it in the Sword collection, or did things just go from bad to worse?

Enjoy.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 02/21/2013   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the gender of the assistant. Do you have an album "marital arts"?

It's a tough crowd tonight.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 02/22/2013   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had to open this post. I found the title to be such an interesting juxtaposition of two very different ideas.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/22/2013   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL - good one doug

Agreed, samurai were soldiers but the martial arts and Samurai are considered hand in hand with the martial arts sport as well. Swords would specifically be for Ken-do (Way of the sword), a specific style. Since the swords are not that prominenet and the samurai dress is on the card, I might include it in the martial arts album. My other reasoning for this is I can get far more shipping related cards than I can for those of the martial arts, so, I might as well add it in there

Husso

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 02/22/2013 12:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 02/22/2013   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chimo: I agree with your decision to put this in your martial arts album; it is a more unique location and, as you know, the samurai were not limited to a knowledge of ken-do, but were also well-rounded in the arts, such as poetry, calligraphy, painting, etc., and this card speaks to that.

Donald

Bushi-do
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/22/2013   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with you there alright Donald.

It is all that Yin & Yang kicking in again.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 02/22/2013 9:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 02/24/2013   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chimo: I reexamined your card and realized that I had missed that the figure is of the chief of the 47 ronin. This means that this card deserves a place in your martial arts album. A great find and I am envious.

Donald

Bushi-do
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 02/24/2013   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don (Way of the Warrior)

Yes, it was also for the same reason, as you pointed out, that I decided to include it in the martial arts album. The shipping line logo on the card is really insignificant. Also, as I pointed out earlier, I most likely can get a another card easier with the shipping logo than I can with a martial arts theme.

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,082Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05