Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Did It Again

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 3,738Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 03/13/2013   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Received this in te mail from an auction I won.

I usually have a hard time getting anything that pertains to the martial arts in philately. So, this is my second item in about three weeks. Gee, I sure hope the trend continues.

I also like the back of the cover that has a Honolulu, Hawaii flag cancellation on it.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/13/2013   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Card -- I love it!

Langford classifies the flag cancellation as Dial-H Flag-14. The Dial & Flag combo were used in 1909. 1911, 1913, 1914, & 1915 with a changeover , Sep, 1915.

Hal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Hal - 03/13/2013 3:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/13/2013   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that dial a bit different from a normal machine cancel? Hmm.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 03/13/2013   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bujutsu,

Love the cover, and the Samurai observing the cherry blossom. That cancel, though, isn't the Hawaii flag. This is it flown below the Stars and Bars on Flag Day.

Terry

Edited by Terence Collins - 03/13/2013 3:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 03/13/2013   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Terry

I knew it wasn't the Hawaiian flag but called the cancel a Hawaiian Flag - sorry for throwing you off. I collect Hawaii and when I first started collecting them was surprised to see the Union Jack image used on their flags.

Would be nice to get an old cover sent to, or from, the Sandwich Islands <G>

Chimo

Bujutsu
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 03/14/2013   06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bujutsu, Lovely colorful card! I love it! Hey, this is unrelated but curiosity has once again gotten the better of me I must inquire of that symbol in your greeting- <G> Is that symbolizing the compass & square and the God "G"? Thank you. -Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 03/14/2013   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff.

No, the symbol <G> I use was just to mean a grin. Rather than go through the icons to get one, I sometimes use that instead, or this one

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 03/14/2013   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bujutsu,

I was surprised too, the first time I saw it many years ago. It is the only US State Flag to feature the Union Flag of the United Kingdom. The flag was said to have been designed by King Kamehameha back in 1816, influenced by Hawaii's time as part of, or under the influence of, the British Empire. There were originally nine stripes for the major islands, but since 1843 the bottom blue stripe has been omitted. I would love to expand into collecting the Pacific Islands, but that will have to wait for now. If I come across a Sandwich Islands cover I will let you know. Maybe do a swop.
All Best
Terry
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 03/14/2013   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me Terry

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 03/16/2013   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a few old postcards with various vessels SS.....Maru

I noted this card was posted from the SS Tenyo Maru - a Japanese passenger liner built in 1908. At that time, it was the heaviest ship launched in Japan or in the Pacific Ocean. 21650 tons - triple screw

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 3,738Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05