Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Help Needed!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,619Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 11/22/2008   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add laswabbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone give me the current SCV for New Zealand OY29-36 Mint?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 11/22/2008   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg....

09 Scott ....OY29-OY36....MNH...$31.90
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tom - That is a really striking set! I need to post pics.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here they are:

Who was it collecting lighthouses recently?
Edited by laswabbie - 11/25/2008 12:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlorenz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg

very nice set ! too bad I do not collect light houses
rick l
APS# 214326, I.S.G.C.# 979
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg, are you buying or selling or just showing?
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set Greg.....

Most folks usually only get to see the first three....love the colors.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
907 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, all NZ Insurance stamps have lighthouses on them for some reason. Must be a metaphor for security, or something.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those look very nice. Are they engraved?
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Government Life Stamps
When the Post Office was first set up in New Zealand in 1840, Government departments were allowed to send their letters through the post without having to pay anything. Later, special stamps were issued to Government departments to put on their letters. These were simply ordinary stamps overprinted with the word 'Official'.

One Government Department that always had to pay postage was the Government Life Insurance Department. In 1891 special stamps were issued for this department and they showed a lighthouse with the words 'State Security' written on the rays from the lighthouse.

Then, in 1947, James Berry designed some new Government Life Insurance Department stamps and on these were pictured New Zealand lighthouses and the famous Eddystone beacon off the Cornish coast in Great Britain.

The final set of Government Life stamps were designed by Allan Mitchell of Wellington and had on them an outline picture of a lighthouse.

New Zealand Government Life Insurance stamps were withdrawn from use on 30 September 1989 when Government Life became the Tower Corporation.

A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Edited by bobgggg - 11/25/2008 10:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
907 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat! That's why I love stamp collecting -- it's so educational.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Greg, are you buying or selling or just showing?

Larry - I was just showing. I saw them discussed in Linn's or SSM and they caught my eye. I started to bid on a set on eBay but talked myself out of it.

Bobgggg - the man of a thousand and one stamp factoids! Thanks for the explanation.

I do not want to buy a set. I do not want to buy a set. I do not want to buy a set . . . . . .
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg, I asked if you were selling or buying since I've wanted a set of those since I was a kid and would have bought them from you. Anyway, I went over to eBay and got a set with Buy It Now.

If anyone else is looking, there should be 8 values to the complete set but some are offered without the OY32 which itself has a catalog value of $11.00 or more than a third of the complete set. Both sets shown here are short that stamp.
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! That was probably the set I had been looking at. It is a beautiful set.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 11/26/2008   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who was it collecting lighthouses recently?

I think you might be refering to Bandicoot.

I started this thread for him... http://goscf.com/t/1849

Steve
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,619Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05