Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Very Neat Find On Old Document!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 7,734Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 03/30/2013   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today I was looking over this ragged document and noticed that there was script in the upper right corner of it.
I think you may be surprised by what it says!

First the document:

Now, see that little "stripe" in the far upper right hand corner? Well this is a 1200d.p.i. scan of it:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
611 Posts
Posted 03/30/2013   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. The old banknotes were noted for the use of recessed dies but they also offered lithography.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 03/30/2013   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know they had exacting lithograph technology back then, but then I guess I would be corrected because my wife collects old stone lithographs but I wasn't aware that the banknote Companies done this type of thing. I thought their mainstay was mainly Government contracts and such? It looks like this poor document was in a rain storm at one point in it's long life. Glad it's safe now! Thank you for the info!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/30/2013   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another thing many people don't know about the now-defunct Deisel Wemmer Cigar Company:

Quote:
Wendy's Company is a holding company for the major fast food chain, Wendy's. Its headquarters are in Dublin, Ohio. The company formerly was known as Deisel-Wemmer Co. (18841929), Deisel-Wemmer-Gilbert Corporation (19291946), DWG Cigar Corporation (19461966), DWG Corporation (19661993), Triarc Companies, Inc. (19932008) and Wendy's/Arby's Group, Inc. (20082011).

The company's principal subsidiary, Wendy's International, are the franchisor of Wendy's restaurants. The company is also a franchisor of T.J. Cinnamons and the Pasta Connection, owns 243 T.J. Cinnamons outlets and 6 Pasta Connection outlets and is a minority owner (18.5%) of the Arby's fast food roast beef sandwich chain.
Edited by wt1 - 03/30/2013 1:50 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 03/31/2013   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow they have their fingers in everything huh? Neat stuff wt1!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 01/16/2014   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I'll betcha - when smoking started to go out of fashion a lot of people saw the writing on the wall and sold their stocks in this holding company. Oops.
Rest in Peace
Australia
631 Posts
Posted 01/16/2014   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that is a great looking document despite its obvious "wear and tear" - and the background behind it is fascinating
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 01/16/2014   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes me think of archival techniques. Wikipedia says the old window envelope openings were covered by glassine (not sure if that's correct). It sure did a number on the paper underneath. Does the same thing happen to some stamps that have been stored in glassine envelopes over a long period of time? This document may have been under that glassine for 85 years...
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/16/2014   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wikipedia says the old window envelope openings were covered by glassine (not sure if that's correct).

I'm pretty sure that's accurate. I have old window envelopes and the material seems similar to that of the "old" glassine envelopes used for stamps (the early ones, that fall apart these days as it was before they had any archival qualities). Not good for stamps anymore (either the envelopes or the old glassines) -- and exposure to light only made things worse.
Edited by wt1 - 01/16/2014 11:21 pm
2 Posts
Posted 02/26/2014   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lokin4AReason to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice sharp image on it ....
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 7,734Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05