Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few New Aquisitions For My Hometown Pc Collection.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Dunkle Hotel. I have NEVER seen this particular card before as I have with the others. I bought it on the spot! This building was directly across the street from my Great Grandparents house in Jersey Shore, Pa! It is also where I was immunized for school. Dr. Dunkle was an "old timey" type doctor and his word was gospel! lol
I once had a an infected finger (from a fish hook incident) that needed lanced; I was scared that it was going to hurt- Dr. Dunkle, without missing a beat, promptly stomped down on my foot while he jabbed me to drain it. He was correct- I didn't feel my finger at all...just my foot... He quipped "See, I told you it wouldn't be that bad !"

Front:

Back:

A "split-back" PC from the corner of main & Allegheny street facing uptown. most of these buildings are gone and there is a WWII. memorial where the WINNER MARKET sits in this photo.

Front:

Back:

This PC is a view of S.Main St. from the second block in.

Front:

Back: "Ethel"

This one was a gift from the seller. I think it's cute.

Front:

Back:

Edited: to correct some type-O's
Send note to Staff
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/09/2013 08:57 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could collect my home town and county, unfortunately my town and county in north-west Georgia until fairly recently have been dirt poor. A great place to live but not much postal history.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I would certainly seem correct to think that there was a town built there for some reason or another? Maybe it was a river port? Maybe a stage coach stop? R.R. station perhaps? You should definitely at least look into it, as you might just be shocked at what you may find! -Cheers friend.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampfan9, what's the name of your town? Guarantee we'll find you one!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this quote on the internet about the Dunkle Hotel

Quote:
...the Dunkle Hotel that my great-grandfather ran in nearby Jersey Shore, Pa. The hotel, which degenerated into a boarding house after it left the family, was razed a few years ago to make room for an Arby's Roast Beef.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope that's incorrect. I know that it was probably Mack or Mike Dunkle that said that but the Dunkle Hotel was on N. Broad st. Arby's is on Allegheny street across from the old High school. Although there was an old green shingled and disheveled apartment building turned Army Navy store to completely Abandoned in the late 80's or early 90's. Unless Dr. Dunkle Had that and his practice in separate buildings. The reason I'm doubting myself is because I know where that the Dunkle building is today and it still stands.
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 10/06/2013 09:45 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this is more accurate:

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Observe: A.- Dunkle Hotel B.-Arby's

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were both right actually. This was Dr. Dunkle's home and his office was on the first floor and still had hard wood floors! almost remids you of Doc. Baker's office from little house on the prairie...when I say old timey I mean OLD TIMEY! lol The one you show was the family's Hotel that was long abandoned when I was young.

P.S.
Remind me to never doubt you again wt1. You always amaze the heck out of me!

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/09/2013 1:30 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2013   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder why I can't confirm.. that is I'm getting some conflicting information about a few details between the 2 buildings?.. I'll have to contact Carolin Dunkle (Personal Friend and a FB contact) and ask her what she knows of the properties? If anything?

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/09/2013 1:39 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/13/2013   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking over these this morning as I finally got time to flyspeck a little bit and I noticed that the black & white PC of the mile long business district Allegheny street card depicts huge building where there are, of course, none today. I remember hearing references to that WINNER MARKET but never knew where it was! There is a WWII. memorial and a little park there now and on the left is an Italian Restaurant.

Before (view in the 1930's):

[/URL]

After (view in 2013):

here is what it looked like when it still stood when I was a child.
The view is that of the drivers side of the white car behind the van in the last picture. But of course a long time ago..

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/29/2013 05:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/13/2013   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aw, it makes me sad to think of those amazing buildings just being gone.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 04/14/2013   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live in Douglasville, GA. I feel bad about my reply to your post. You have a sweet and neat collection of your home town. I always enjoy your posts.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/18/2013   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go stampfan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglasville,_GA

Take the prominent figures listed on here and look for covers and P.C.'s addressed to and from them and then hit up the genealogy sites for more in-depth information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/18/2013   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to ask about genealogy sites, but thought it might end up hijacking your thread. I posted a new thread here instead: http://goscf.com/t/31938
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/18/2013   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nah man, do it up!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05