Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few New Aquisitions For My Hometown Pc Collection.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/27/2013   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this on the internet: An old time image of the Jersey Shore, PA train station. Thought I'd add it to this thread in the event you haven't seen it before:

I'm not good at dating these old time photos, but given the ladies dresses and hats, I'd say maybe it's from the late 1890s?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/27/2013   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow wt1 I love it! I've never seen this particular card or image before. Great stuff!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 04/27/2013   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if you saw this already but here's one of the silk mill…

It appears to be produced by the same person that made the one withthe train station.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jersey-Shor...em19db8ad18d
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/27/2013   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen this exact card however, I know this image was taken from the train station across the road. I grew up on Washington Ave. Jersey Shore right down the road from this building and used to practice in a band in a rented space in that building. I remember seeing stuff in there from a silk exposition or something, like awards and ribbons from way back then.

Also, This photo of the postcard was taken from a dealer I use that lives in Williamsport Pa. HA! :)
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/27/2013 7:52 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another classic Jersey Shore, PA postcard:

Edited by wt1 - 04/29/2013 09:37 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing. I seen an oil painting of this exact scene once.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/29/2013   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found it!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/30/2013   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the Dunkle hotel subject real quick...I found a picture of the hotel as it stood in my youth. This is the building I was confused about.

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/30/2013 07:32 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/26/2013   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some trade tokens I had sent to me. They were said to have been used as Trolley fair tokens but I think they may have been just what they say they were- trade tokens, probably from local business' I know that they date from between 1890's - 1920's.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 05/26/2013   02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The numbered tokens were probably for transportation.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/26/2013   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are all numbered on the back actually. The one pictured with the showing the numbers are the reverse of the "Good for 5¢ in trade" but the "LIBERTY BELL" token is the only odd obverse. These were found in the basement of the oldest establishment in Jersey Shore called the Allegheny House bar and hotel. The mud on these are from the 1936 flood not from the 1972 Agnes flood because the waters never reached that far in 1972 but did in 1936. I was sent an even dozen of these. I love them and they're going into my coin collection in the morning. They will look funny next to my double eagles but I love them just the same!
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 05/26/2013 02:46 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/26/2013   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's information on the Liberty Bell Token (a/k/a a Trade Check Separator), based on this listing currently for sale on eBay:

Quote:
Antique slot token made for the Mills Novelty Company's "Liberty Bell" slot machine, circa 1910. It is brass, round, and 21mm in diameter. The first Liberty Bell was made by Charles Fey, the inventor of the slot machine, in 1895. It was later copied by Mills, Caille Brothers and others. The subsequent Mills machine was called the Operator Bell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mills-Liber...em4d0a53b13a

Quote:
The first mechanical slot machine was the Liberty Bell, invented in 1895 by car mechanic, Charles Fey (1862–1944) of San Francisco. The Liberty Bell slot machine had three spinning reels. Diamond, spade, and heart symbols were painted around each reel, plus the image of a cracked Liberty Bell. A spin resulting in three Liberty Bells in a row gave the biggest payoff, a grand total of fifty cents or ten nickels. The original Liberty Bell slot machine can still be seen be at the Liberty Belle Saloon & Restaurant in Reno, Nevada.

Charles Fey was also the inventor of the trade check separator, which was used in the Liberty Bell. The hole in the middle of the trade check allowed a detecting pin to distinguish fake nickels or slugs from real nickels. Fey rented his machines to saloons and bars based on a 50/50 split of the profits.

Here's a photo of the actual machine:

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/26/2013   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So that was for a slot machine? That's sort of interesting because just a few buildings down the road (3 I think?) was an establishment called "the nickelodeon" and had those primitive machines like you sometimes see on restoration programs and such. It is thought provoking as to how they ended up in the basement of a bar?
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"It is thought provoking as to how they ended up in the basement of a bar?"

As a trade stimulator I bet? probably because one of those machines sat on the bar to stimulate business and generate more money of course. Just my thought.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05